Disc brake drag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If they don't bed in properly you can also try this tip that works for both hydraulics and mechanicals.

Loosen the two bolts that lock the disc brake assembly to the frame / fork. Squeeze the brake lever. With the lever squeezed, tighten the two bolts to lock the assembly in place.

This procedure re-centers the pads on the rotor ensuring they are both equally spaced, and fixes the situation where the rotor catches either pad but not both.

LBS showed me how to realign the cable operated brake calipers on my Trek, exactly as "Howard" explained but first slip a thin bit of card such as a business card between the fixed pad and the disc.

When you release the brake this should leave a very small clearance gap between pad and rotor.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok not sure if directly relevant - I've got hydraulic brakes, but I was told I needed to bed them in whenever I changed the pads and that to do that I needed to go down some hills holding the brake lever slightly on to "bed them in".

Mine occasionally start rubbing and a tip I was given on here (thank you who ever it was), was whilst stationary (at lights for example), press the brake lever on quickly 5 times and then press it on and hold it for another 5 seconds. And that allowed the pads to re-align slightly whilst on the move. Then when you got home you could do the allen key out and readjust properly.

Mine occasionally start rubbing and a tip I was given on here (thank you who ever it was), was whilst stationary (at lights for example), press the brake lever on quickly 5 times and then press it on and hold it for another 5 seconds. And that allowed the pads to re-align slightly whilst on the move.

'Twas I, but that only works with Avid Juicy Hydraulics, not Avid cable disks afaik.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If it is any help ,the instructions with my bike say to adjust the brakes to minimise disc contact, it doesnt say you need to eliminate it completely.

Still not sure if I am a fan of discs or not. On the plus side they arent wearing out your wheel rims and they work well in the wet weather. Downside is a bit of fiddling to keep them adjusted.

Top Bottom