Disc brake pad issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
Wonder if anyone can help me and explain what has happened here, and if it's a quick fix or something more catastrophic.

Noticed a slight wobble on my front wheel yesterday, checked around and found that the brake was like this. It's obviously pushing onto the disc and so when the brake is applied it's moving the whole wheel.

Sorry for the mud, I do clean my bike weekly but was off road yesterday and didn't get a chance to clean after.

But I'll be honest I don't do anything to maintain my brakes except clean them. Was serviced by a friend around 6 months ago but I ride it every day.

Anyway any thoughts please?

received_10158314694315156.jpeg
received_10158314694490156.jpeg

Is the rotor flexing or bent?

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Is the rotor flexing or bent?

The disc looks straight to me.

When I apply the brakes it pushes the wheel to the left slightly. This has made the wheel loose on the axel and so I imagine I need to replace the wheel once the brake is sorted.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Does the wheel move side to side if you move it by hand?
It could be the cones are a bit loose and need tightening , worth checking to see the general wear and amount of lube in their while your at it.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you don't want to take any chances with brakes. If there were to suddenly jam the wheel you might not live to tell the tale. Get them checked by a qualified mechanic pronto.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Does the wheel move side to side if you move it by hand?
It could be the cones are a bit loose and need tightening , worth checking to see the general wear and amount of lube in their while your at it.

Yes it does. Okay thanks will look into this.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
At the risk of stating the obvious, you don't want to take any chances with brakes. If there were to suddenly jam the wheel you might not live to tell the tale. Get them checked by a qualified mechanic pronto.

I'm ringing the shop today when they open at 9, just wanted to be able to give them a rough idea of what is wrong so they know what they will be dealing with.

Top Bottom