Disc brake problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Please bare with me as no absolutely know nothing about disc brakes on bikes but mine seems to be suffering a few problems at the moment.
On my mtb i have elixir 5 brakes fitted. The front works brilliantly but the back is not to good. When i pull the lever it pulls back almost to the bars and doesn't inspire much confidence it needed in an emergency. If i pump the lever a few times though, it does firm up.
Does it need bleeding or just simply adjusting. If it needs bleeding is it advisable to take it to my local bike shop.
Sorry for the rather stupid and obvious question to the people who are in "the know".
All the very best,
Johnny

Gunk

Guru
It probably does need a bleed, but with some brakes it is possible to adjust the biting point of the lever, this is usually done by turning an very small Allen bolt by the hinge of the lever.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks @Gunk for replying.
Yes your right in that it has an adjustment screw (I've just had a look on your advice)
It looks like it is fully screwed in which i presume is the maximum point the plunger will push. It looks likely then it needs bleeding.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Some elixir brakes are a pain to bleed, common problem.
Unusual master cylinder design.

They need bleeding with a bleed kit, they have a bladder which seems to cause the problem.

If your up for the challenge have a go, these are Dot 4 brake fluid type

Jody

Stubborn git
Sometimes they just dont work very well, and it can be better to just go shimano

That's exactly what I did with my Elixir brakes. Bleeding turned into a nightmare and they were never right again so swapped them for some SLX brakes. The performance difference alone is worth the swap.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
That's exactly what I did with my Elixir brakes. Bleeding turned into a nightmare and they were never right again so swapped them for some SLX brakes. The performance difference is worth the swap alone.

Even the br300 series brakes are good with shimano

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Elixir’s are the work of the devil, I suffered from stuck pistons and spongy brakes for years until I switched to Shimano. @johnnyb47 I would suggest getting them bled, but in the long term keep an eye out for some Shimano brakes in the sale. Oh, before you get them bled, just make sure they are not leaking anywhere, particularly at the callipers.

Gunk

Guru
Thanks @Gunk for replying.
Yes your right in that it has an adjustment screw (I've just had a look on your advice)
It looks like it is fully screwed in which i presume is the maximum point the plunger will push. It looks likely then it needs bleeding.

You may find the opposite, with some levers you undo the Allen bolt to increase the biting point. However it’s still only a temporary fix, my advice would be to get them bled and check the pads.

It would be worth upgrading them, personally I’m a big fan of SRAM Level TL or TLM brakes, nice and light, beautifully engineered and most importantly lovely feel, I’ve got a set on my S Works Epic and I’ve just upgraded my sons Giant Trance Advanced from an old set of Avid Juicys

B820-F1-F4-0260-4-C63-87-B3-96311-A763577.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for all this great advice. Just reading these useful posts has gone a great deal of way in helping me out.
From the general concensus it looks like these brakes are not the best out there. The LBS has told me its around £20 to get both bled so would cost less for doing the one providing that's all it needs. I think i will do this for now and see how it goes. If it then gives me more grief i,ll look out for a replacement.
I like the disc brakes over the rim brakes i have on my road bike. More progressive braking (when they work properly) but the flip side is more complexity when things like this happen.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Have a look at Shimano LX Treking brakes

I have a set on my single speed that only cost £60.

They were only a stop gap until I could afford something dearer - years later - they are still on the bike :laugh:

Way better than the Elixirs I have on my other bike

Levo-Lon

Guru
You may find the opposite, with some levers you undo the Allen bolt to increase the biting point. However it’s still only a temporary fix, my advice would be to get them bled and check the pads.

It would be worth upgrading them, personally I’m a big fan of SRAM Level TL or TLM brakes, nice and light, beautifully engineered and most importantly lovely feel, I’ve got a set on my S Works Epic and I’ve just upgraded my sons Giant Trance Advanced from an old set of Avid Juicys

View attachment 497701

Second that, excellent stoppers

Top Bottom