Disc brakes and Velomobiles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am still working through the options/directions to take with respect to a velomobile and whilst the Sinner Mango is on the short list I also do like the Ice Sprint/Borealis combination. However one deal breaker for me is having dynamo power. Now Sinner Bikes have made progress on this aspect with a mid-mount dynamo but it seems that with the Borealis the only option is a SON XS-M and disc brakes.

Some velo pilots seem to have issues with disc brakes in their velomobiles with pad wear rates being high. There is also the issue of having to remove the calliper to replace the pads.

I am wondering but if the pad wear rates would be that high for a velomobile ridden here in Western Australia where the riding conditions are generally much milder (Mediterranean climate) or would there still be enough crap getting into the wheel well during winter to do the damage?

Thoughts?

Andrew

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I am wondering but if the pad wear rates would be that high for a velomobile ridden here in Western Australia where the riding conditions are generally much milder (Mediterranean climate) or would there still be enough crap getting into the wheel well during winter to do the damage?

Thoughts?
Other than Envy - 'fraid not ^_^

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I run a single sided SON hub dynamo on my RAW with disc brakes. Seems OK so far. In fact, this is one of the best behaved parts of the ride :smile:

Wear rates on mine are always higher when I'm doing mixed mode use. If you ride a VM all the time, you remember to stop pedalling nice and early, and (after a while) tend to find yourself timing your arrival at junctions to roll across on the green phase. When switching from another bike, I nearly always forget I'm going at least 20% faster, with 10% more weight, and that the ideal braking point for the junction I've just started thinking about is already someway behind me :smile:

The result, is I end up grabbing a handful of brake and the increased pad wear is expected. Its partly the speed, partly the weight, and mostly the rider :smile:

Top Bottom