Disc brakes rubbing after tyre change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I put the new tyres on my bike today.

Usual method - flipped it upside-down, removed the wheels, changed the tyres, replaced the wheels, and put it up the right way again. The same method as I used when I had to change a tube out on the trails.

When I stood it back up, I noticed the front wheel wasn't spinning freely. The brakes are rubbing slightly. I tried removing the wheel and replacing it again in case it wasn't in the dropouts properly, but that hasn't fixed it. I tried squeezing and releasing the brake lever a few times with the bike in the upright position - no idea why I thought that might help! - but that hasn't fixed it either. I've looked for a way of adjusting the brakes, but can't see anything obvious.

I'd like to ride the bike tomorrow, but don't particularly want to ride it with the brakes rubbing because:
a - it will be hard work
b - it probably won't do much for the life of the brakes

The brakes are Shimano BR-M505.

bjellys

Make sure that the wheel is aligned properly & then try slackening the bolts that hold the caliper on, then hold the brake on while you do the bolts up again.I also find if I have the skewers to tight it makes my wheel bind.

Motozulu

Über Member
When I put my brand new pads in they were a bit tight too - spun the wheel and it was dragging - I then loosened the bolts fixing the brakes to the frame, spun it again and clamped the brakes on hard.....tightened bolts without releasing brake to centre them..tried that? otherwise a little fine sandpaper on the pads to shave them down a bit?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Maybe the wheel has a slight dish on it. Try flipping the front wheel over and refitting to see if that makes any difference.

Also have you checked you haven't knocked the calliper while you were refitting the wheel?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Maybe the wheel has a slight dish on it. Try flipping the front wheel over and refitting to see if that makes any difference.

Also have you checked you haven't knocked the calliper while you were refitting the wheel?
Disc brakes Mc....cant"flip" the wheel, disc will be on the wrong side!:tongue:....agree with Bjelly about the skewers, I used to have the same problem with my br775s.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I also find if I have the skewers to tight it makes my wheel bind.

agree with Bjelly about the skewers, I used to have the same problem with my br775s.

I'll have a look when I can get up - have a warm cat on my lap at the moment, and I don't feel like moving! That sounds most likely, knowing me, because I do have a tendency to do everything as tight as possible "just in case".

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Ah, I forget about these weird new-fangled disk thingys. :blush:
I know, round things on bikes, whatever next...............:laugh:

compo

Veteran
I always set the wheel back in the dropouts then apply the brake firmly before and whilst I do up the QR skewer. This aligns the disc with the pads.

Its not straight in the dropouts. With the bike upright - ie not leaning against anything (and definitely NOT turning the bike upside down and without holding the brake lever) release the qr lever and do it back up again. The wheel hub will settle in the dropouts.

Tada.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Its not straight in the dropouts. With the bike upright - ie not leaning against anything (and definitely NOT turning the bike upside down and without holding the brake lever) release the qr lever and do it back up again. The wheel hub will settle in the dropouts.

That was the first thing I tried, and it didn't solve the problem. I suspect it's as others said, and I've done the QR up too tight.

Motozulu

Über Member
If not Lulu try the loosening the brake caliper bolts trick - holding the brake on and then re-tightening em, I believe this is how you centre the brakes - worked for me.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I've had another fiddle with it, and I'm beginning to suspect they've always rubbed slightly, but I've never noticed it before. The only reason I noticed it today was because the brakes squeaked when the wheel moved slightly. They only started squeaking towards the end of my last ride.

As part of my fiddling, I turned it upside-down, and pulled the brake lever with the QR open. The pads pushed the disc quite a long way outwards, and it also seems to be the inner pad that's rubbing. Will loosening the pads and tightening them again with the brakes on align them properly?

And on the subject of squeaking brakes, what's the best way to deal with that? I suspect they've got a coating of dust. I usually clean my bikes (including braking rims and rim brakes) with baby wipes, but I've read somewhere that they're not good to use on disc brakes.

Top Bottom