Disc brakes, wheel pulls to left when applied?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Butty1972

So, I noticed the other day that if I apply my front brake, the wheel visibly shifts or deforms to the left. I had made a very rough and ready adjustment to the brakes before I went out as they were rubbing and time was of the essence, and they still seemed to brake just fine, but before I strip it and put it back together again, I have to ask.. is this normal?
Bike is Spesh crosstrail, brakes are probably tektro or similar, I forget, assume low-end anyway...

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
It is not normal and shouldn't happen. The most likely cause is wheel deformation as the side to which the disc is fitted slows down quickly while the other side of the wheel tries to keep going. The wheel may appear to be straight, but it may need the spokes to be tensioned more. Less likely causes are headset loose, fork deformation or damaged, quick release skewer not tight enough.

potsy

Rambler
My CX bike used to do this, ended up getting the skewers changed under warranty for some 'beefier' ones, not had any issues since.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Check that the QR is done up tight and cammed over correctly, not just twisted round as some folk do. One concern with discs is that the front disc can cause the front axle to come out of the dropout as the braking torque pulls it downwards.

OP
OP
Butty1972

Butty1972

ok guys, I'll crank up the QR skewers and make sure they're really tight, although I normally do them fairly tight anyway.
Thanks.

Top Bottom