Disc Brakes, which?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

Hi,

With a choice of these 2 disc brake systems, is there £200 extra value in going for the more expensive? or is the extra cost down to weight saving?

Magura Julie Hydraulic +£160.00
or
Magura Marta Hydraulic Disc +£375.00

Thanks.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Hope Mono Minis

mondobongo

Über Member
Weight saving between the 2 is 100 front and 80 rear roughly. Julies are popular brakes for those on a budget, personally not used Magura brakes. Prices for both look high to me.
If you are stuck with either and no others to choose from consider what type of riding you are going to be doing and make your choice based on that.
Do you need the extra braking the Marta will give you?

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

The prices are basically what HP Velotechnik say, so no movement on that, at least not a lot.

Do I need the power = Probably not.
Do I want all the power I can get = yes.

Recumbent cycles have a much lower center of gravity, so can deal with more braking power than DF cycles.

What cycling will I be doing = it will be my only form of powered transport, so used for anything from a short run to the local shops, to long days/weekends out on the roads, but 99.9999% of the time not off road.

mondobongo

Über Member
I would say that the Julies would be fine for what you want.

(If I was hurtling around off road on technical trails and could only have Julies or Martas I would go with the Martas.)

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

mondobongo said:
I would say that the Julies would be fine for what you want.

(If I was hurtling around off road on technical trails and could only have Julies or Martas I would go with the Martas.)

So the Martas are not better made or stronger, and would last no longer than Julies? If that is the case, I presume the cost difference is down to weight?

Top Bottom