Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Make/model/type ?

nickb

Guru
Mine squeal a little when wet but are otherwise silent.
However, my son commutes in all weathers and his seem to squeal regularly when they get grubby. I can cure it temporarily by taking the pads out and lightly deglazing them on some sandpaper and cleaning the discs with isopropyl alcohol but the squealing does return.

nickb

Guru
Mine squeal a little when wet but are otherwise silent.
However, my son commutes in all weathers and his seem to squeal regularly when they get grubby. I can cure it temporarily by taking the pads out and lightly deglazing them on some sandpaper and cleaning the discs with isopropyl alcohol but the squealing does return.
Although, look on the bright side: it can save you having to have a bell.

Alex321

Veteran
My rear disc brakes are making a squealing noise. What could cause this?

TIA

If it is wet, most disc brakes will squeal. If you've watched a recent bike race coming down a hill in the wet, it sounds like a flock of banshees!

If it is squealing when not wet, then as others have said, it is probably contaminated pads/rotor.

I would take the wheel off and give the rotor a light sanding, and probably the pads as well. It may also be worth using a disc brake cleainjng solution on it.

If that doesn't work, then you probably need to replace the pads (not hard, nor expensive usually).

vickster

Legendary Member
There are a plethora of other threads about squealing disc brakes too if you use the search function :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd say it's probably some dust or grit you've picked up. You could try cleaning the pads with a wire brush.
Alternatively could be the pads are glazed, again something abrasive could work.
If that fails get some heat into to pads by holding the brake on while pedalling, repeat a few times.

Slick

Guru
I heard a new one on me the other day, that seals on the caliper will sweat if not in use for some time.

I suppose it could be true, as this year is the first time for yeas I haven't kept my good bike going all winter, but it does sound like a bit of a poor excuse to me.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I’m not one of those fuddy duddy old luddites who rejects any modern innovation, but disc brakes do suggest a whole extra load of pishing about trying to solve a problem that for me doesn’t exist, being I tend to avoid the mountainous uplands of rural Norfolk and stick mainly to the low lying flood plains.

Top Bottom