Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Thanks for the tip Howard.

Don't tip it upside down very often, I usually hang from garage ceiling if I need to work on it.

Moodyman said:
Disadvantages - Oil needs bleeding about once a year, sooner if you do high mileage. I understand that bleeding is a pain to do alone and you need to buy bleed kit. Not needed bleeding yet so can't confirm.

I've had disc brakes for 10 years and I've only had to bleed twice. Once due to a crimp in the tube after a crash and once to replace 4 year old dot 4 brake fluid.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've had disc brakes for 10 years and I've only had to bleed twice.

Okay, okay, I concede, you might be able to go longer than 1 year. I was just going by what Mr Shimano says in his documents.

Either way, to the OP - get discoing.

Moodyman said:
I've had disc brakes for 10 years and I've only had to bleed twice.

Okay, okay, I concede, you might be able to go longer than 1 year. I was just going by what Mr Shimano says in his documents.

Either way, to the OP - get discoing.

I've never used shimano brakes, so you may need to with them. I used Magura, Hayes and Avid and so far I've been they've been great.

So what are my best options when looking to buy a new hybrid sports with disc brakes for communitng (with full length mudguards) ?

bauldbairn

Bay Runner said:
So what are my best options when looking to buy a new hybrid sports with disc brakes for communitng (with full length mudguards) ?

nich said:
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_team.html

My brother just got one. It's lighter than my road bike :wacko:

+1, :evil:

Or the "Boardman Pro" as featured on my profile page - more pics than the Boardman site. Again "roadbike owners" comment on how light it is - I think they're remembering when "hybrids" were steel mountain bikes with slicks.

Howard

bauldbairn said:
+1, :biggrin:
Again "roadbike owners" comment on how light it is - I think they're remembering when "hybrids" were steel mountain bikes with slicks.

Yeah - now they are cyclocrossers with flat bars :biggrin:

marcw said:
My next bike will have discs, is there much difference between hydraulic and mechanical disc brakes? Mechanical sound like they will be easier to maintain and fix on the road should anything go wrong.

Easier to fix if something goes drastically wrong (anything cable operated can be bodged in some way if needs be!)

Because there is significant cable pull for little pad movement, even slight wear means adjustment is needed so you do need to adjust cable ones often though it is usually quick (the Avids are nice and easy to tweak)

Performance wise I do like the Gusset Chutes - at £40 each (£80 for front & rear) they aren't the cheapest (nor the most expensive!) and they do need an allen key to adjust the gap but they bloody work, and they work well! I took the advice of the reviewers on CRC and coupled them with a set of Goodridge cables

joebingo

Über Member
Howard said:
You can do it on your own, and yes, you do need the bleed kit (or buy some mineral oil and the correct diameter tube for the bleed valve). It is difficult and messy the first time, the next time it's better. Rather like se...:thumbsup:
I highly doubt that something as fiddly as bleeding brakes could be quick and hilarious:blush:.

I've got discs on the MTB and rim brakes on the road bike. TBH, personally I've found Rim brakes to be more than adequate in all weather conditions, you just have to plan ahead a bit more when it's wet.

Discs are nice though, I was amazed the first time I used them in a downpour.

domjon

about bleeding hydraulic discs...I am mechanically useless and found bleeding my avid elixirs an absolute doddle. If you follow the videos on youtube you can't really go wrong.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
BB7 mechanicals on both my 'bents. Pads easily last for 3k miles of stop/start commute, characterised by 20+mph sprints, 35mph descents, 40 odd sets of red lights. Can't go wrong, IMHO.

Yep. You have to dial them in once in a while, but seriously, it takes seconds and is good for at least a couple of months.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
what I hate is that I'm now sold on BB7 mechanical disc brakes, but none of my bikes can accomodate discs. I'm hoping that the change to the rules permitting them for CycloX will mean more frames coming with them as an option.

OP
OP
M

mark i

Thanks for all the advice! It does seem that the overwhelming advice is to go disc. Looking forward to it! I usually do my own brakes on the car so bleeding a hydraulic system is not a big deal to me. I agree with the comment on rims, esp in the wet. My brakes are well maintained and in the wet there is still a finite period before they bite in the wet!

Top Bottom