Disc or no disc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
My last bike had Shimano Hydraulic brakes and my new commuter has cantilevers.

Must admit I did prefer the hydraulics mainly due to the extra modulation, lever feel and the two finger braking but I wouldn't go about swapping them onto the new bike.

Never tried cable operated disk brakes so can't comment on that one.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks guys, my discs are cheap single caliper ones. Promax renders if I recall. I've discovered from this thread why they're squealing though. I fitted generic sintered pads.

I'm still contemplating what to do about a bike build however.
Hi @Nebulous, you must have a headache now with all those conflicting answers!
I ride heavy bikes (around 12 kg "naked" plus panniers with the kitchen sink, in all weather.
My experience:
I had a bike with HDB (Tektro HDC), a Merida hybrid, after a series of V-braked bikes.
Great stopping power in the wet, same as V-brakes in the dry, a horrible squealing ( I was told they sounded like a bus!) if they only sniffed water.
Pads were checked by LBS after a couple of thousand miles and two very undulating (lots of braking) tours, still lots of life left in the pads.
Maintenance needed during that time: zero apart from cleaning.
Then I got another similar bike, brakes Tektro Auriga, they had a terrible judder on the front wheel since day one, LBS said needed bedding in, 1,500 miles later still the same, they also squeal in the wet but stop you they do, if a bit screechy.
Maintenance needed so far: zero.
Both sets get a rubbing of sort after you remove the wheels, then you need to either adjust the wheel in the dropouts or fiddle with the adjustments of the brakes, or live with it.
My latest bike, a Genesis Tour de Fer, came with Shimano mechanical disk brakes: I have to agree with @Yellow Saddle, they are pants compared to good V-brakes.
On the test ride they would not stop at all.
LBS adjusted them, told me I had to get from 50mph to 5mph 50 times to bed them in properly. Of course, I can't get to 10mph on a good day, so 300 miles later they are still not perfect, plus I went through a puddle and instantly they started to whistle never to become silent again.
I had to remove the back wheel, of course then they needed adjusting to stop the rubbing. Also, like @Yellow Saddle said, I need to pull harder compared to my old v-brakes.
All in all I think rim brakes are less hassle and "feather" better than disks.
Ok, in the wet disks are better, but one just has to ride slower and take in consideration the bite delay.
Don't know about the issue of worn rims, I got a bike used for almost 4,000 miles mainly in the wet with rim brakes, the wheels are still not worn.
I suppose if your wheels are very expensive disks would make the running of the bike much cheaper.
Have you decided yet? ^_^

S-Express

525364501_59446f796b_z.jpg

Not sure what's more nostalgic there - the bike or the Datsun Sunny in the background ;)

Slick

Guru
I'm sure this could be a controversial one, but I'm considering a new bike for long-distances. I'm looking at a genesis equilibrium, probably building from a frameset. The disc frameset was originally more expensive but is discounted more than the non-disc so prices for the frame alone are pretty similar.

I have a rim-braked road bike with ultegra, which stops very well. My only experience with discs on the other hand is my cyclocross computer which has mechanical discs. They are difficult to set-up and even then are prone to squealing and making strange noises. The braking isn't hugely impressive either.

A rough calculation is that despite the similar price in frames, getting a fully hydraulic set-up will cost me about £250 more. People complain about the size of the hoods for some of the shimano shifters because of the oil tank. I would probably get built or try to build my own wheels with a dynamo. With bigger tyres I'd need longer than standard brake calipers going rim-braked but other than that it would probably be a full 105 groupset.

So what do you think?

Go disc for more bucks or stick with what I know and trust?
Obviously you were right with your assertion that this was going to be a controversial one, but I feel the disc is a worthy option and whilst mine is last years model, there is no difference in performance between my mtb hydraulic brake and the Genesis cable actuated. One thing though, they do screech. I really need to get that addressed.
20170128_135834.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Rim brakes for me. I am just an old dog who can't be taught new tricks.
I've only just got used to dual pivot brakes.

Drums or discs on cars? Go with the latest tech never fails

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Obviously you were right with your assertion that this was going to be a controversial one, but I feel the disc is a worthy option and whilst mine is last years model, there is no difference in performance between my mtb hydraulic brake and the Genesis cable actuated. One thing though, they do screech. I really need to get that addressed.
View attachment 346172

I looked at that bike. They're selling them off for £999. I'm slightly annoyed though because you can get a small or extra small for £850. If I could get a medium for that I'd probably take it.

Do you like it?

iandg

Legendary Member
Just looked at last night's posts. Jeez - I'm heading out on my bike - Genesis Equilibrium with calipers (going back to the OP). 2 weeks of illness and no cycling's made me a right grumpy old g*t :blush:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Agree with @jowwy
Many years running Avid BB7 cable disc without any sort of problem. In all weathers, in all conditions, all year round, commuting and touring.
Very poor? Nah I don't think so.
Yup , now i have worked out how to set up my cable disks even cheap ones are more effective at stopping in varied conditions compared to rims, i have been commuting on my drop bar mtb the last few weeks because even though its a bit slower due to its weight sucking your effort on hills ( gotta be 20 kg loaded )i kow that the brakes are more consistent in all conditions which mans when i am ratling downhill at 30 mph in the wet i am going to stop at the junction at the bottom.

Slick

Guru
I looked at that bike. They're selling them off for £999. I'm slightly annoyed though because you can get a small or extra small for £850. If I could get a medium for that I'd probably take it.

Do you like it?
You can, or at least you could when I picked mine up. Mines is a large that I bought after a lot of good advice from this forum and I love it. I tried to use my old bike as a winter bike but I just couldn't leave this machine in the garage. My brake do screech, but I reckon that they just need a good clean. You would need someone more technically minded than me to explain this correctly, but apparently these cable discs act more like hydraulic brakes but don't ask me why. I do have the spec sheet somewhere if you would like a look.

Try these guys.

http://www.sprocketscycles.com/genesis-equilibrium-disc-20-steel-road-bike-2016#.WOk0SOjTW2c

Sorry, looks like they only have small. Still call them though, they brought mine up from down south.

Top Bottom