Disc pads glazing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My Orro Terra has Trp Spyre brakes, which work fine mostly. The small problem I have is with the pads glazing and losing their effectiveness. This has happened three times in the 1500 miles since I bought the bike new. Each time a quick rub across the pads with fine glass paper has removed the glaze.

I am not a fast rider and jealously preserve whatever momentum I build up, and so am very gentle on the brakes. I dont plan on changing my riding style.

Are there pads which are resistant to glazing?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've had no problems with Disco Brakes own brand pads. (I use their semi metallic)
Good price and good service too.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are there pads which are resistant to glazing?
No, is the short answer. They like to be used, and used firmly. Organic compunds may be more tolerant than metallic or cerametallic ones, but they'll all still do it given certain conditions. Proper bedding in helps greatly.

Use the stoppers decisively and firmly when required. Not suggesting that you do, but too many riders, like car drivers, comfort brake all over the shop and don't know how to use the anchors proper, like - such ineffectual use of the brakes is a significant contributor to the problem.

And as Screenie says, keep 'em clean.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cost though, at about £2.50 a can these are cyclist we are talking about. Nothing up with rod brakes and leather blocks, it is a scam by cycle manufacturers to get us to spend money so a few guys on here keep repeating.

Euro Car parts for the brake cleaner, otherwise it's double that from Halfords or a bike retailer. Do you think these 'cyclists' will pop into a car parts shop ?:whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
Euro Car parts for the brake cleaner, otherwise it's double that from Halfords or a bike retailer. Do you think these 'cyclists' will pop into a car parts shop ?:whistle:

I would imagine most cyclist own a car, so maybe yes. I guessed at £2.50 as I pay less as I buy 12 cans at a time.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for the advice. This is my first bike with discs, I have been regularly cleaning the discs, didnt realise I needed t clean the pads.

I've just spent a happy few minutes in the garage cleaning them with IPA.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks for the advice. This is my first bike with discs, I have been regularly cleaning the discs, didnt realise I needed t clean the pads.

After gawd knows how many years now of riding disc brake equipped bikes. I have not once had to clean the pads or rotors.
Perhaps lay off cleaning the rotors as that's what is probably causing your pads to glaze.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you clean the pads too well then you need to re-bed in the pads, if you don't do that then your pads will glaze. I tend to squirt a bit of cleaner on the pads when washing the bike. If my brakes start to squeal I tend to clean the discs really well with IPA (99%), whip out the pads and use IPA and then a blowtorch on them, then re-bed the pads.

si_c

Guru
If you clean the pads too well then you need to re-bed in the pads, if you don't do that then your pads will glaze. I tend to squirt a bit of cleaner on the pads when washing the bike. If my brakes start to squeal I tend to clean the discs really well with IPA (99%), whip out the pads and use IPA and then a blowtorch on them, then re-bed the pads.
My understanding is that it's the other way around, bedding in pads transfers the material from the pads to the rotors - as this happens the braking performance improves. Failing to properly bed in the pads is what causes both squeal and glazing and as you note above cleaning both and rebedding in solves this. Cleaning the pads themselves whilst not a bad idea doesn't prevent glazing - it does ensure that they are free of contamination though which is a good thing.

Noting the above, we may have found the cause of the problem - if you are regularly cleaning your disc rotors and then failing to bed them in properly this is likely to be causing the glazing of the pads. I never clean my disc rotors beyond getting them wet with a hose when cleaning the rest of the bike and once they are bedded in properly then I never have brake squeal or glazing (the former I get in torrential rain, but that's expected).

When you clean the rotors with disc brake cleaner you remove the surface material which aids braking so you need to bed them in again - you probably won't need to do this to the extent you would with new rotors but it will need some bedding in again.

si_c

Guru
Wait what now ? Disc brake cleaner ? I'm just using muc off and soapy water on mine.

Rim brakes seem easier.

Yeah that's what I used on my bikes, soapy water and lots of it. Don't bother cleaning the rotors or the pads unless they need it, just hose them off with the rest of the bike.

Top Bottom