disc rotors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
would like to remove and clean rotors on my mtn bike,they are shimano m446 on a pinnacle jarrah but the bolts are covered by what looks like a weld or cap,any thoughts on how to remove?

D

Deleted member 23692

Sounds like you've got Shimano CenterLock discs instead of the 'usual' 6 bolt jobbies. You'll need a standard Shimano Cassette removal tool to get them off

Here's some gen...

http://www.bike-advisor.com/bicycle-service/how-to-replace-a-centerlock-rotor.html

djb1971

Legendary Member
if you're just cleaning them use sandpaper folded so it rubs both sides and then wipe over with ipa and a clean rag. No need to remove to clean, just don't go mad and bend them

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
if you're just cleaning them use sandpaper folded so it rubs both sides and then wipe over with ipa and a clean rag. No need to remove to clean, just don't go mad and bend them

I can't see the point of removing the discs.

Another way to clean them is to use a rag and yellow kitchen cleaner such as Cif, which is mildly abrasive.

A disc and a rotor is one and the same thing. However, why do you want to clean them? If it is because they're making horrible noises they may be contaminated by stuff that cannot be removed with cleaning products and you may have to sand them. This requires some serious elbow grease and is best done carefully on a belt sander. In this case you have to remove them.

compo

Veteran
I have Shimano mechanical callipers with centre lock rotors and I just give them a spray with disc brake cleaner and a wipe with kitchen towel. A squirt through the calipers doesn't hurt either to polish up the pads a little. Keeps them nice and quiet in operation.

Top Bottom