1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disconcerting apposite juxtaposition of image and content within the lyrics, melody and tone of popu

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Crock of Gold, 27 Jun 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Never heard this song or watched the video until a week ago. I've been playing a lot of Ramones stuff to my kids (Cartoon Rock and all that - they love it) as they want a proper electric guitar and drum kit for "their rock band". They are 8 and 5.

However, I never played "The KKK took my Baby Away" as I didn't want my kids asking "What is the KKK, daddy?" (Though I'm quite happy for them to sing out loud "I wanna be sedated!")

But in a bored moment I watched the KKK video, expecting a bit of jokey, bubblegum, unpolitical fun. However, imagine my furrowed brow when I saw the words

"The KKK TOOK MY BABY AWAY,
    SHE WENT TO LA,
    AND NEVER CAME BACK."

were juxtaposed with images of a young lady being ambushed, strangled and dragged through bushes.

VERY disconcerting. Not non-political throwabout jokey song at all. Very disturbing. I'll play the song again but not the video.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Gj72Mdn34&feature=related

Another master of this type of disconcerting juxtaposition of melody, lyrics and content was, of course, Paul Heaton.

What do you think?

Edit: Erm - that should read "non-apposite etc..."

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Pretty tame by today's standards I'd say.

3. OP
    OP
    Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

...though the bit where the band start looking aimlessly for the "lost baby" in the shed is funny. ;)

4. TVC

TVC Living La Mala Vida

The Ramones are Gods.

If you want some up to date WTF! lyrics over a catchy tune then try this one:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcP-xtMSrlw

Also worth checking out are "Dude, lets get boners" and the evergreen "Gay boyfriend". I love these girls!