Discouraging children from cycling to school is a form of child abuse (discuss)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lurker

I'm minded to write a think piece on this topic in order to stimulate debate in my own community and online communities and wondered if I could try an approach to this using the combined brainpower of Cyclechat contributors. Basically the idea is that I use contributors' arguments to produce the article. Obviously all contributors would be cited (1) e.g. if I were self-citing, I would reference my contribution as 'Lurker', post no. XXXX, [ url ], [date of posting]. If you would like to contribute to this debate in this way it would be great to see your views, whether 'pro' or 'con' the motion.

To get things started, I would suggest that discouraging children from cycling to school is a form of child abuse because it knowingly denies them everyday opportunities to develop as independent individuals, and that this restriction on their development results in an impoverished childhood.

(1) In the footnotes, like this.

Surely only lazy control freaks would discourage a child from cycling, or any sport come to think of it? There's been a big drive on cycling at our daughter's school and it was great to move their bikes from the cloakroom when we cleaned the school, brought a smile to my face.
We live in a rural area and the school is 5 miles away and we would love to cycle with our daughter to school if she asked, but do not push the issue as the journey is difficult due to the terrain (hilly) and would not want a negative result.
I think folk forget at times that children are just little people with a right to their own choices and should always be encouraged to develop.

Alan;)

Dilbert

mad al said:
Surely only lazy control freaks would discourage a child from cycling, or any sport come to think of it? There's been a big drive on cycling at our daughter's school and it was great to move their bikes from the cloakroom when we cleaned the school, brought a smile to my face.
We live in a rural area and the school is 5 miles away and we would love to cycle with our daughter to school if she asked, but do not push the issue as the journey is difficult due to the terrain (hilly) and would not want a negative result.
I think folk forget at times that children are just little people with a right to their own choices and should always be encouraged to develop.

Alan;)

Good on your daughters school but sadly some schools are not so forward thinking:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopModules/Articles/ArticlesView.aspx?TabID=0&ItemID=261&mid=13641

Good old elf and safety used as an excuse yet again

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My childrens primary school was against children cycling to school until they took their cycling proficiency test - which they took in the summer term in Year 6. I became involved in the school travel plan, which released funds for a bike shed, but the council weren't happy with the school's policy and spoke to the head about how he wouldn't be responsible for their journey to school. As a result new bike shed, at first barely used but gradually increasing use especially in the summer when it can be full to bursting. The school also organised a few bike events - bike breakfast, and bike trip so a complete turn around. They still only do Bikeability in year 6 but anyone can cycle to school and that includes pre-school siblings on stabilizers.

jonesy

Guru
I would avoid any comparison with child abuse, not least because abuse is intentional, and is a crime. The reference will put people's backs up and they won't listen to your argument I'm afraid...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
jonesy said:
I would avoid any comparison with child abuse, not least because abuse is intentional, and is a crime. The reference will put people's backs up and they won't listen to your argument I'm afraid...
I think that's right.

OP
OP
L

Lurker

jonesy said:

Fair point. I was being deliberately provocative in the wording of the motion for debate.

However, surely discouraging children from cycling to school could be said to be a form of child abuse, in that the evidence is extremely clear that it's not in children's best interests to discourage them from being physically active every day - and utility cycling trips such as those to school are the best way to build in routine physical activity? LEA, schools, head teachers and governors as well as many parents will be well aware of the consequences of not encouraging kids to be active - so if they fail to promote physical activity will do so knowingly, and intentionally.

One of the dictionary definition terms for 'abuse' in this context is 'neglect'. Maybe that would be a better motion for discussion? i.e. Discouraging children from cycling to school is a form of child neglect.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you want a completely polarised debate (which is entertaining but otherwise pointless), stick with your wording: if you want a reasonable chance of changing anybody's opinion, try rewriting it in the positive sense

"Encouraging children to cycle to school promotes their physical and mental development and is to be commended"

Top Bottom