Discrepanicies in RWGPS and Bike Hike

migrantwing

Veteran
Created a route in RWGPS and uploaded it to Bike Hike to check hill gradient. RWGPS shows two hills on my route, one with a gradient maxing out at 5.9% and another at 6.9%. When I upload it to Bike Hike, these values are 10% and 9%, respectively. 1 or 2% here and there is OK, but what is causing these quite prominent differences?

I've saved these routes as gpx, tcx and fit files, but they are all way off.

Attachments

OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Guess not then.

@migrantwing try uploading to strava, and create a segment for the whole ride and look at the elevation on it, you find it very close to that if you had created a route on strava.
I have never used bike hike, if I correct my ride on rwgps, my max grade is usually lower than that of the same ride uncorrected, and I generally lose a few hundred feet, which is ok, because this is the data I use for my own database, and the data should be consistent from ride to ride, unless you use a different gps unit, then you may get differences, I know I did between the 500 and the 705.

OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
@Nigelnaturist I've looked at the route in strava and created a segment. The two gradients are now showing 9.2% and 14.5% at the highest points. Seems more like it, although I wouldn't say they were that steep. I could be wrong, though.

Attachments

OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
@Nigelnaturist Yes, I've seen some similar segments to mine on Strava and the grades fluctuate between 11% and 15%. It's all very bizarre :smile:

@migrantwing I keep a lot of data, most of it generated from the base info from the unit, in all honesty most is irrelevant, grade I do as a max, but only the corrected one from rwgps, I have a field that shows how difficult a ride is, based on height climbed and distance, height/distance is a good indication but not the whole picture. It does however explain why I am not as fast as last Sept for example, however there are other factors as well, but we all keep things differently, when I am riding I only really look at at my cadence, the unit will show what grade I am climbing at the time but doesn't record it.

Top Bottom