Disk? Cantilever brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
karen.488walker

karen.488walker

At the very least I need new pads. If not hydraulic v brakes. If not a new bike. Decisions decisions. Can't buy a bike out here. The exchange rate is killing us.

Mr Pig

I'm not an expert, but if your wheels are a few years old and the rims are worn, isn't there a danger that hydraulic rim brakes might crush the rims? Besides, if you get hydraulic rim brakes aren't you just going to forever wish you'd gone the whole hog and got the disks?

Add it up. The difference in cost between hydraulic rim brakes and disk brakes, not including the wheels, probably isn't that much. The only big difference is the cost of new wheels. However, using rim brakes of any kind, let alone hydraulic ones, will wear out your rims and you'll need new wheels anyway! So you could end up spending the price of disk brakes anyway and still only having rim brakes.

So personally, I'd bite the bullet and go for disks. Either that or, if you think they'll cope with what you're going to do, just buy new pads for your 'V' brakes. Or buy a new bike! ;0)

don't do hydraulic rim brakes, you'll wear your rims out soo quick

ideally you want rims that are built for use with hydraulic rim brakes

if your going with new brakes i'd go for very good v brakes (shimano XTR for example) or disks

if your going for disks, i'd go for hydraulic

mountainrider

Only if you have mounts on your frame and forks. if you have suspension forks they should have them. worse case you could just mount a disc on the fork, using your old brake on the rear. v brakes are good though i had them and the old cantilevers before them, competed and everything they where fine. its just one of these things that once you have upgraded you cant go back, mainly for ease of maintenance and no mud scraping noises whilst riding.

Top Bottom