Dismantling a Veloce gear shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I snapped a rear changer cable, it broke in the changer mechanism under the brake hood. Basically to get the remnants of the cable end out I had to take the changer apart. Dismantling it wasn't too bad but getting it back together, especially the spring on top, is proving tricky. I can't tension the spring and the reach of the screw that holds it all together doesn't seem long enough. It's an old part ( possibly 20 years) so is it worth it. Is it actually a servicable part? Has anyone got experience of this?

Gunk

Guru
It’s probably easier to try and find a used replacement.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
True. I like to fix stuff if I can but draw the line at pointless exercise. It's such a pain in the backside part to work on.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I like repairing things myself, but the guides (example) on the web turned me off; and there's a bewildering choice of spare parts so I didn't trust myself to buy the right items, let alone fit them. Or it might have been a bodge, incapable of precise and reliable shifting.

Got a shifter mechanism/body instead. Much cheaper than a whole shifter, but I had to transfer the old lever across, and possibly also the clamp.
The nightmare bit was transferring the hood. There's obviously a knack to it that I simply didn't have.

Thread title error? Surely the problem is with reassembly!

In theory you can replace everything on these shifters, but my experience is that you need the right teeny-tiny-bendy-springy objects skills.
So after replacing 1 G-spring, I now send mine off to the experts! IMO the labour charges by these people is very reasonable, and they will make sure you get new parts where you might not realise they were needed => long-term time/cost savings. (or they can just replace the exact single widget you request).

(If your 20year-old shifters have not needed any servicing before now, you clearly don't use that bike enough :smile: )

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
oooh Matticus you pedantic imp.

The bike has an Ironman 2009 and a Vatternrundan 2011 sticker on it plus 20 years of commuting in it. Not under used just Pearsons Cycling quality.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
(If your 20year-old shifters have not needed any servicing before now, you clearly don't use that bike enough :smile: )

Pah, my STI MTB shifters have been going nearly 30 years with no more than an occasional squirt of oil. Never take the buggers apart though !

Deadly.

Top Bottom