Dispose of or still life in them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20170926_144259.jpg

I've just replaced them but I'm wondering what others think?

MiK1138

Veteran
You've taken them off, chuck em out, otherwise you will end up with a drawer full of used brake blocks (take it from one who knows)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

You've taken them off, chuck em out, otherwise you will end up with a drawer full of used brake blocks (take it from one who knows)
Oh they're in the bin already. Funnily enough I didn't notice too much improvement in the Kool Stops so I've gone back to Tektro pads.

MiK1138

Veteran
I wasnt impressed with Kool Stops either, swapped them out for Clarks, I will confess i do have the Kool Stops in a drawer though

si_c

Guru
Loads of life left in them. Fsck it though, not that important to wear them down to the indicator line.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Flat em off with a file, loads of life in em yet.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Plenty of life yet. However, there is no grit in those. Koolstop doesn't pick up grit/aluminium. Give them a good scrub and you'll see.
Rescue them, they're good.
You think. I'll have a look again tomorrow.

I usually find with brake blocks that once they fall below a certain level then the brakes don't seem to be as efficient, they feel different, not quite as crisp or responsive, particularly V-brakes.

You think. I'll have a look again tomorrow.

I usually find with brake blocks that once they fall below a certain level then the brakes don't seem to be as efficient, they feel different, not quite as crisp or responsive, particularly V-brakes.

Yes, if you don't have parallelogram linkages in your V-brakes, they do deteriorate as the pads wear down. That's because they make a cosine error by sweeping down more than sweeping towards the rim. The force on the rim is therefore reduced. With better brakes such as XT, they compensate with a linkage. Those remain good till the last drop.

Calipers don't have the same sweep problem, however on dual pivot brakes the one arm is shorter than the other and when the pad is worn, it does also sweep upwards instead of towards the rim.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yes, if you don't have parallelogram linkages in your V-brakes, they do deteriorate as the pads wear down. That's because they make a cosine error by sweeping down more than sweeping towards the rim. The force on the rim is therefore reduced. With better brakes such as XT, they compensate with a linkage. Those remain good till the last drop.

Calipers don't have the same sweep problem, however on dual pivot brakes the one arm is shorter than the other and when the pad is worn, it does also sweep upwards instead of towards the rim.
That's my problem, crap brakes.

if you look at one of the pads you can see it's more worn than the others. That's off the back and the rear caliper had gone out of adjustment. Just a small twiddle of the grub screw has now brought it back.

Top Bottom