Distance between dropouts on 80s Dawes Giro 500?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The distance is correct. The chainstay shape could be anything that the designer wishes. Why are you worried about it?

robgul

Legendary Member
Are you sure the bike is as old as the title in your thread - looks a bit more recent to me? Lots of frames have bowed seat and chain stays - IF it was faulty it would appear "bent" rather than "bowed"

Rob

sittingbull

Veteran
I'm assuming the OP is concerned the frame has been damaged by cold setting?

I don't know the exact year of the frame in question but I always thought most 80s frames were 127 OLD until the late 80s.

From the pic I couldn't say whether the frame is steel or aluminium.

robgul

Legendary Member
I'm assuming the OP is concerned the frame has been damaged by cold setting?

I don't know the exact year of the frame in question but I always thought most 80s frames were 127 OLD until the late 80s.

From the pic I couldn't say whether the frame is steel or aluminium.

... from experience of cold-setting the stays will not be bowed - the "bend" if any will be at the brake bridge on the seat stays and the bridge behind the BB on the chain stays - that said, for the amount that would have been changed by cold-setting up to about 10mm any bend would not be visible to the naked eye.

arch684

Veteran
Take a long piece of string and tie it off to one of the dropouts then take it up round the head tube and back to the other dropout.pull it tight and tie it off . then measure the distance from the seat tube to the string if its the same on both sides chances are the frame is fine

Top Bottom