Distance mismatch.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check it on a cycle circuit or something?

I used to check mine at Eastway Cycle circuit.

Shows how much im out of touch...it closed in 2006?:cheers:

How time flies.

Jmetz

i was gunna say this is simple

you know the time a speed for rearrange the equation of speed=distance/time to

distance = speed x time and you have your answer as to the distance you have travelled indicating which is right

jimboalee

Measure it the 'olde' way.

Get the OS pathfinder, a sheet of paper and a pencil.

Start at the top RH corner of the paper and mark off the distances between junctions and curves along the edge of the paper.

Then compare it on the scale.

You'll find it is closer to your computer's result than the crumby website approximation.

Google based mapping will give you loads of straight line distances even for corners, and doesn't include you wobbling all over the road, and Google maps doesn't include the extra distance in elevation.

Shouldn't really equate for anything over a mile difference though.

I've had nothing but bad news with the GPS chips in older mobiles (not checked my most recent), and it could be possible that is it dropping signal at certain points for short distances and calculating the straight line distance between your newest point (or even ignoring it completely). GPS will also have dodgy jitters concerning altitude too, you should see the graphs between GPS based and Barometric based altimeters...

Best way to calculate the route is to use some OS based mapping with good elevation data that takes into account the inclines/declines, draw your route on and see what that says.

Top Bottom