Distance on a mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I've been out on a couple of rides now on the pug and I keep finding myself being drawn to cycle tracks rather than being on the road. This may be down to going out at peak traffic times or just down to the number of tracks and footpaths near where I live. There is also a good number of woodland tracks near me.

I think I know the answer but if used on a road, would a mtb stand up to a good road ride and besides the tyres are they up to the longer rides?

I know there are cx bikes out there and that there is extreme cx racing but in reality they are designed for hilly dirt tracks if I throw a few into the mix

clid61

Veteran
Go as far as you like on whatever terrain you like, its called choice pal

KneesUp

Guru
Early MTBS often had rack mounts so you could tour on them. It will cope fine but obviously it will be slightly harder work for you than a road bike.

EDIT to correct awful spelling from my phone.

Last edited:

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've toured over 100miles per day on a mountain bike, I'd say they are up to it.

The question is are you, they're harder work than a roadbike over distance and a little slower even rigid with slicks.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Get yourself a 29er - lock out the forks, add some cx tyres and off you go like this

IMAG0029.jpg

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You got a rack that fits a 29er? Where did you get it from?

Hugs
Archeress x
Its a standard rack fitted to a seat collar clamp and rear seatstay p-clips.

Use it for work and the odd cycle track/canal picnic ride. The bike is fitted with conti 4 seasons 28mm for commuting on, rides like a dream. Also removed front suspension forks and fitted with rigid suspension adjusted carbon fibre from planet x

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Back in the day when I only had one bike :whistle: which was a hardtail MTB I did the M/cr 100 mile with my brother. A nice set of 26x2.1 slicks at 65psi did the job brilliantly and I was perfectly happy at the end of the day with no aches or pains other than the general 100 mile tiredness (this was during the bleak years before I rediscovered cycling). I have since done a couple of distance rides on the MTB inc doing a 100 miler to Southport that could have been done on my roadbike or hybrid. To be honest there isn't much in it in terms of comfort or ease, they are just different. However, I wouldn't recommend riding a full susser far (just to the skip!:laugh:).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Get yourself a 29er - lock out the forks, add some cx tyres and off you go like this

View attachment 44740
Excuse me but wouldn't that now be a 700c hybrid like this....
upload_2014-5-11_11-3-0.png

Brandane

Legendary Member
My good old Trek 6500 MTB has lugs for a rear rack. I swapped the heavy suspension forks for lighter carbon ones, and I would quite happily tour on it (if I didn't have a Tricross, which is more suited to the job :thumbsup:).....

dsc00702s.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
What gearing you got on it skol?? Also can it take 2.4" super knobblies for the muddy towpaths we have here in the rural south or the offroad routes in thems mountains that we have????

All this can still be done on my 29er

I don't think my MTB (26" wheel) can take 2.4" tyres. What does that make it?

Top Bottom