distance speed records

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclebum

I was talking to my father yesturday about his days cycling in his youth (he's now 79) but he told me his uncle was a champion cyclist winning a medal in the 1920's for 100 miles cycled between Liverpool to Blackpool and back.
I could not believe the time he reckoned it took him so I googled it finding in 2005 a guy did it in 4 hours 11 mins far longer than my great uncle is supposed to have done it in so my father's memory is obviously failing him here.
I'm intriged now to find out more though, I've googled and tried wikipedia and I keep getting more about motor bikes!!!;) Any suggestions

P.H

Über Member
The road record association authenticate many distance records, though Liverpool to Blackpool isn't among them. The RRA rules are for unassisted rides, so no riding in groups or slipstreaming vehicles.
http://www.rra.org.uk/

I suspect your fathers ride was a local record maybe organised and regulated by a local club, of which there were far more then than now. The current record for 100 miles is 3 hours 11 min.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks, I was begining to wonder wether it was just a club record or something. My dad claimed his uncles time was 2 hours 10 mins!!! That would really be going some

cyclebum said:
Thanks, I was begining to wonder wether it was just a club record or something. My dad claimed his uncles time was 2 hours 10 mins!!! That would really be going some

It certainly would. My fastest 100 (based on finishing rather than setting a record) is 6 hours 19 mins.

Top Bottom