distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oliver

i'm going to be cycling to devon in the summer, and i am unsure of how to break the distance up , 3 days of around 70 miles or 2 days of about 110miles

i can easily manage a sub 2 hour 30 mile route, but i'm not sure how i would be with the longer distance, any sugestions?

aberal

Veteran
What is the furthest you have ever cycled? Because if you haven't done much more than 30 miles I think you'd struggle with 110 miles in a day especially for two days running.

snorri

Legendary Member
It also depends on how much you will be carrying, will you have the full camping gear? Why worry about how long it will take? Just relax and enjoy the tour, it's not meant to be a race.;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When you are touring, speed is not the key, fun is more important than clock watching, give your self time to enjoy it... :laugh:

hubbike

I think you'll easily manage it in two days. I calculate milage in time. over several weeks of travel I average out at about 10mph. So your choice is two days with 11 hours in the saddle or 3 with 7.

But if it was my choice I would take the 3 day route. its 10 miles shorter!!

RedBike

A lot depends on what you're carrying.

Fully loaded, I would break it down into 2 x 60s then if you're legs are up to it 100 on the last day with the option of splitting the last day into 2.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
oliver said:
i'm going to be cycling to devon in the summer, and i am unsure of how to break the distance up , 3 days of around 70 miles or 2 days of about 110miles

i can easily manage a sub 2 hour 30 mile route, but i'm not sure how i would be with the longer distance, any sugestions?

Hi Oliver

I did Abingdon to Exeter over 2 days on a road-bike with a large loaded saddle-bag.

Roughly, Abbers to a mates just outside Shaftsbury for day 1 and then down to the coast at Lyme Regis, along the coast for a bit and fineagled my way to Exeter from there. Good stuff!

Not hugely long days, but good fun. Weather was hotter than Hades which added to the joy.

The terrain is quite lumpy/rolling in places and whether you take 2 days or 3 depends on routing and your attitudes to hills. There is no avoiding them really. If you feel you'll struggle, take 3 days and enjoy it.

2 hours for 30 miles is nice going, but going longer is about fuelling (not an issue to 30 miles) and being used to spending say up to 8-10 hours in the saddle in whatever the weather throws at you.

Top Bottom