DIY advice... laying hardboard over floorboards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The never ending kitchen refit continues...

I've got my hardboard and wetted it to stop it bubbling up.... but have found conflicting info as the which way up it should be laid. Smooth side up or mesh side up? (advice on which way and why would be appreciated, if it even matters.) Cushioned vinyl flooring will be going on top.

Also, I'm planning on using 20mm 'cut' nails every 6" or so (from advice gained decades ago)... but them there DIY type forums say either annular (ringed) nails or screws (heaven forbid!). Any advice on which I should use and why?

cheers :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Manchestering the screws into place.
Your floorboards firmly held down, I say stick with the nails. Annular or otherwise.

RedBullet

we always screw at 100 spacings. Never had a to go back to any yet and It doesnt matter which side it goes down when your using it for that either.

MikeG

Guru
Cut nails to hold hardboard down?!!

That really is overkill, particularly bearing in mind that it is often, if not usually, stapled down (using a hammer stapler or a compressor driven staple gun). I really wouldn't bother to screw it down, either. No, 'twere it me I would be pinning it down, using a stainless steel panel pin "dovetailed" (nailed at various angles) at about 200 centres.

young Ed

Veteran
sorry no help here!
but i am wondering what are you laying hardboard over floor boards for? is it to protect floor boards when plastering/painting/using mortar for something etc etc?
Cheers Ed

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
sorry no help here!
but i am wondering what are you laying hardboard over floor boards for? is it to protect floor boards when plastering/painting/using mortar for something etc etc?
Cheers Ed
Gives a decent surface to put the lino on, which has a habit of showing any minor imperfections underneath over time.

FWIW when I did the bathroom last year I went shiny side up and stapled it.

Colin B

If your laying hard board over floor boards I'm assuming its for a level surface yeah and cushion floor I think is the name for lino these days . For me I'd go rough side up cos cushion floor is layed with adhesive so the finish will give more surface area but this is just my logic and opinion on which would be the better of the two . As for nails not sure but make sure the are sunk below the surface cos the heads will show .

MikeG

Guru
...... cushion floor I think is the name for lino these days..........

Sorry to be all pedantic, but cushionfloor is a modern vinyl, whereas lino is made from compressed sawdust and linseed oil, so they are two quite different things. Lino is still available, and is actually experiencing a surge in popularity.

stan leyden

The ones I've seen have always used thin ply rather than hardboard.

Colin B

Sorry to be all pedantic, but cushionfloor is a modern vinyl, whereas lino is made from compressed sawdust and linseed oil, so they are two quite different things. Lino is still available, and is actually experiencing a surge in popularity.
Oh yeah I agree modern cushion floor is a far cry from the old lino but in essence its the same stuff but better I have it in my bathroom and have to admit when I saw it I thought it had come a long way from the stuff in my mums kitchen

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you nail it down, for Pete's sake make sure that the nails are shorter than the thickness of the boards. A long time ago I used ones that were 2mm too long. One of them hit a pipe which was right up against the back of a board. I didn't know about it until the ceiling of the flat below collapsed due to the leak. It was a bit embarassing really.

Colin B

If you nail it down, for Pete's sake make sure that the nails are shorter than the thickness of the boards. A long time ago I used ones that were 2mm too long. One of them hit a pipe which was right up against the back of a board. I didn't know about it until the ceiling of the flat below collapsed due to the leak. It was a bit embarassing really.
Oh I feel your pain brother did similar myself once

young Ed

Veteran
Gives a decent surface to put the lino on, which has a habit of showing any minor imperfections underneath over time.

FWIW when I did the bathroom last year I went shiny side up and stapled it.
ah i see
i didn't realise you put floor boards down then hardboard on top of it and then the cushion floor or lino i thought it was hardboard straight on the joists and then the lino or cushion floor on that, but that isn't strong enough i guess?
sorry for the lack of experience/knowledge but i have only ever dealt with projects where the floor boards are the final visible surface
Cheers Ed

asterix

Comrade Member
Rip up the floor boards and put down chipboard. No need to mess with hardboard on top and you can check the pipe work and cables so as not to hit any.

You'll get a nice smooth, draught-free floor and it shouldn't creak any more if done well. Chipboard is not hard to lay and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom