DIY childhood toys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Crikey, i'm bored :biggrin:

Being the ripe old age of nearly 50 :biggrin:, i wuz brought up in an age where we used to lick road clean errr make our own entertainment :biggrin:

French arrows.....short thick sharp arrows, made our flights out of cardboard, weighted the front end, and the launched them with a short length of string from your hand. The whip action really used to make them fly, 2 or 3 miles 2 or 300 yards at least.

Eons of fun....those were the days

What was yours ?

stevenb

helicopters with lolly sticks, paper, sticky back plastic and elastic bands....and the occasional paper clip

col

Legendary Member
Catapults made of out of just a length of elastic and a small pouch for your ammo,we used to hold the end of the elastic and pull the pouch end as far as we could,not very acurate, but didnt half go far.Oh and my brother stuck me in the leg with a french arrow,trying to throw it through my legs.

col

Legendary Member
Elmer Fudd said:
Same as Gbb
Plus a hair clip, elastic band, empty cotton reel and candle would make a great self propelled crawling toy (used to call em tanks)

You reminded me of these,we used to race em:biggrin:

Abitrary

A gun, the body being made of lego.

The principal firing mechanism was an elastic band, used to fire a lego bullet. One of the 2x2 ones.

The smallest unit of currency in legoland

col

Legendary Member
Or the cloths peg and a lolly stick,with an elastic band,used as a mini crosbow.
Does anyone remember stickle bricks?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Carts (or trolleys, as we called em) out of bits of wood and old pram wheels. Steered by moving a pivoting fron end thingy with frontwheels attached to it. Also had string reins. I seem to remember spending 50% of my childhood on one, but there was probably only one. Happy days!:biggrin:
A bit like this but with no seat.

col said:
Or the cloths peg and a lolly stick,with an elastic band,used as a mini crosbow.
Does anyone remember stickle bricks?

Stickle bricks, brilliant, although Lego ruled;)

Remember making peg guns, used to fire the metal spring section from another peg and rubber band mechanism quite a way.

Abitrary

stevenb said:
I'm sure they did a single square flat piece. Three made a single digit brick. :biggrin: Great toy was lego...bloody great.

One of flat ones would have taken someones eye out.

I used larger bricks so they wouldn't lodge in my adversary's orifices, and I set the whole thing on stun

col

Legendary Member
Toshiba Boy said:
Stickle bricks, brilliant, although Lego ruled;)

Remember making peg guns, used to fire the metal spring section from another peg and rubber band mechanism quite a way.

Ah those were the days:biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
gbb said:
French arrows.....short thick sharp arrows, made our flights out of cardboard, weighted the front end, and the launched them with a short length of string from your hand. The whip action really used to make them fly, 2 or 3 miles 2 or 300 yards at least.
We used to call them Dutch arrows though.

Betta Builda was my brick of choice - cheaper and smaller units "for the skilful hand...". I also remember some bricks which slid between pointy lengths of wire which were positioned in a multi-holed base... called Baco?
I had a Sekiden gun - a real gun with golden balls - years before Beckham, which was massive fun. And, I spent a great deal of time making string pictures - white thread back and forth around evenly nailed nails...on a velvet background - the Green Lady of the 1960's! Ah - the good ole days (again :biggrin: )

Top Bottom