DIY workstand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
I was thinking of building a workstand as my next project - the ones you can buy seem to fall into one of two categories - cheap and flimsy, or sturdy but expensive. I'm fairly sure I can manage cheap AND sturdy, based on this principle, using bits and pieces I have lying around:

QKPCS9;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

The only thing I'm struggling with is the clamp; the more expensive ones clamp to the seat post, requiring a high clamping force. Various cheap ones have a horizontal clamp designed to clamp to the top tube - gravity does most of the work so only a light clamping force is required. I reckon I can fab the latter clamp, but not the former. The site which has the park tool stand pictured above shows the clamp being used in both orientations.

Given that this stand will be holding up a cheap ally hybrid and a midrange 80s 531 tourer, with no prospect of any fancy bikes in the forseeable future, is hanging my bikes from the top tube near the seat tube a problem? Or should I avoid?

Also, if anyone out there has a pro bike stand, would you be able to measure:

- the working height range of the clamp
- the length of the feet
- the reach from the vertical member to the centre of the clamp

I would be very grateful. In return, *if* I am successful, I will post drawings and DIY instructions at a later date.

battered

Guru
Is hanging my bikes from the top tube near the seat tube a problem?

No. If it can cope with your arse parked on it as it crashes down a hill, holding up its own weight is loose change. Just make sure it doesn't foul any cables in the clamp.

- the length of the feet

You can estimate these from that diagram. I would go that way, anyway.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I hang my bikes from the beams in the garage using two old climbing tapes around the seat and the stem. Works fine for general fettling, cleaning and adjusting but heavy stuff (crank removal) needs to be done on the floor.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I want to have made for me a stand like this from Kestrel engineering. They are £64 inc. p&p according to their website.
Dad says he should have the materials just maybe short of time as he is always away in his caravan somewhere or other at the mo :rolleyes: . If he doesn't have the time I might have to end up buying one before the price goes up.
If you do want to make one, try the Instructables site for some ideas.

GilesM

Legendary Member

- the length of the feet

the working height range of the clamp = 1000mm to 1400mm
the length of the feet = 670mm
the reach from the vertical member to the centre of the clamp = 250mm

IHTH

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The only thing I'm struggling with is the clamp; the more expensive ones clamp to the seat post, requiring a high clamping force. Various cheap ones have a horizontal clamp designed to clamp to the top tube - gravity does most of the work so only a light clamping force is required. I reckon I can fab the latter clamp, but not the former. The site which has the park tool stand pictured above shows the clamp being used in both orientations.

Given that this stand will be holding up a cheap ally hybrid and a midrange 80s 531 tourer, with no prospect of any fancy bikes in the forseeable future, is hanging my bikes from the top tube near the seat tube a problem? Or should I avoid?

My experience is that I couldn't always clamp the top tube satisfactorily. Due to the size/shape of the jaw I couldn't do that with one racer with highly oval/aero tubes, but more importantly with a number of mtbs with non-cylindrical shaped top "beams". Even more commonly, clamping the top tube can interfere with all 3 cables running on top of some mtbs' top tubes...

I can see why you say that a good clamp is tricky to fabricate (and indeed to design), it then crossed my mind that wouldn't it be simpler and efficient if the clamp is actually replaced by a pair of "saddle rails" that the bike's seatpost can clamp on to? It would also solve all "delicate carbon tube", odd shape tube, and cable interference problems we may encounter in one fell swoop!

There remains the question of how best to attach the "saddle rails" (with bike) to the stand quickly and firmly. But it seems to me this is not a particularly challenging problem compared to designing/fabricating a good clamp for the bike.

Top Bottom