DIYs and Perms planned to restart Aug 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Actually there seems to be a way round this - I checked with my organiser a few days ago and he confirmed it's possible, a few people have done so and he's happy with it.

If you click on the "Members" tab on the main page on the old site (http://www.aukweb.net/home/) you'll find that login there is enabled. Once you've done that, it's possible to access useful things such as purchasing brevets. Clearly it's in everyone's interest to get things like this done while it's all quiet, so I hope no-one in authority thinks it's a loophole that has to be closed...

Now you are getting into an area of possible confusion, and I hope I'm not merely adding to it! With a pure DiY by GPS ride, receipts can't be used as backup because the entire route is needed to prove the distance - there's no concept of shortest distance between controls. But if you're doing an established permanent designed to enable receipt-based validation, it may be worth collecting receipts as backup even if you plan to prove the ride using GPS, an option I believe some organisers offer.

With DiY by GPS validation, certainly you can use your home as the start and end control, or if you prefer not to, start your ride at a nearby landmark. The distance between there and your home would then effectively be neutralised. I don't know if anyone does this but I could understand that some might.

With traditional receipt-based validation I think you do have to use a local shop or equivalent. I see a lot of discussion about using selfies as proof of passage and I think this is increasingly used. Acceptability is something to confirm with an individual organiser, but in general they are looking for reasons to validate rather than to reject.
Thanks for this @Aravis :okay: It seems I still haven't got my head around it :laugh:

The route I'm going to use for my DIY is one I've plotted for myself (I really want to cycle from home to York) so I'll forget collecting the receipts as a back-up. A better idea I think is to keep an eye on the Wahoo and if there's an issue, start recording with the Komoot app on my phone as a back up that way I can always join the two raw GPS tracks together to prove I've done the whole route.

The selfies idea is inspired. The poor organiser though, having to look at photos of my mug... :laugh:

I'll have a look this evening at buying virtual Brevets through the link. I do like to plan and do as much as I can in advance.

Some of you are clearly not doing good Risk Assessments :ohmy:
There is a time limit to these events, so you might need a final sprint to finish. It is therefore vital to consider your finish straight. How would your neighbours feel about a 30mph Audaxer careering down the road to beat the clock?? And god forbid any of you finish DOWNHILL - don't do it!!!

Finishing at your door makes a safe finale much harder; ideally finish on a long climb, with minimal junctions and dwellings. Enjoy the 10k warm-down to home :okay:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I am confused. Does it matter which DIY regional rep I choose?

Looking at the list of DIY reps, I think I may have it wrong and Mike Kelly (Midlands, North and Mid Wales) is my nearest rep. That said it could be Andy Clarkson (Yorkshire and East England) who I originally thought it was. I live right on the border of Yorkshire and Derbyshire and while my first DIY will be north, and I have plans for one other going north (Scarborough), I have thoughts of heading into Derbyshire quite a lot as I love the area plus the odd DIY to Lincoln.

AUK says to choose one organiser and stick with them so I want to get it right. Any help would be appreciated! :wacko:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I am confused. Does it matter which DIY regional rep I choose?

Looking at the list of DIY reps, I think I may have it wrong and Mike Kelly (Midlands, North and Mid Wales) is my nearest rep. That said it could be Andy Clarkson (Yorkshire and East England) who I originally thought it was. I live right on the border of Yorkshire and Derbyshire and while my first DIY will be north, and I have plans for one other going north (Scarborough), I have thoughts of heading into Derbyshire quite a lot as I love the area plus the odd DIY to Lincoln.

AUK says to choose one organiser and stick with them so I want to get it right. Any help would be appreciated! :wacko:

You buy your virtual brevets from one DIY organiser. Then when you submit your DIY, using up one virtual brevet, you select the same DIY organiser. I’ve stuck with Tony in the SW even though I don’t live in the SW.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'll have a look this evening at buying virtual Brevets through the link. I do like to plan and do as much as I can in advance.
Did you get around to doing this? If not, then sadly I think you've missed your chance, as AUK seem to have successfully stamped out the subversive practice I was describing. :rolleyes:

Once you've bought your first virtual brevet you have your chosen organiser's email address. Then, should the AUK website make life difficult, whether intentionally or otherwise, you can communicate directly with your organiser and sort things out that way. But I haven't had to do this yet.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Did you get around to doing this? If not, then sadly I think you've missed your chance, as AUK seem to have successfully stamped out the subversive practice I was describing. :rolleyes:

Once you've bought your first virtual brevet you have your chosen organiser's email address. Then, should the AUK website make life difficult, whether intentionally or otherwise, you can communicate directly with your organiser and sort things out that way. But I haven't had to do this yet.
No, I decided as I'm not going to do my next Audax until around the 15th August, I'd wait until the 1st when Audax officially starts again in case there was an issue with payments. As AUK have been upgrading their website there could be a problem processing payments and I didn't want to be £10 out of pocket for my lack of patience.

I'm still working on improving my fitness as when I do a 200 I want to succeed otherwise it may put me off attempting another. I want to enjoy it without worrying about whether I'll be able to make it all the way round. :rolleyes:

Then I'll work towards a 300... :eek:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Here is a link to the 12 Jul statement following the Audax UK board meeting.
https://audax.uk/news/covid-19-update-12-july-2020/
And a [my] precis:

Resumption of validation of Permanent events (including DIYs) up to 200km (nominal) from 1 Aug confirmed.

[If we can] we . . . anticipate opening up entries by 24 Jul.

Riders must stick to all COVID-19 rules/guidance . . . including social distancing and the limitations on gatherings (varies from nation to nation). No groups more than 'x' on Permanents - if more than 'x' submitted for validation on one day, none will be validated!
x = {E=6, S=3, W=2, NI=30} If 'x' changes, we'll try to increase max number accordingly.
Expected to be more changes between now and 1 Aug: look out for updates on Audax UK website.

For sanctioned long distance riding, there are 'special' risks around infection control; in particular, maintaining hygiene and the use of facilities across a wide geographical area, hence the responsible, cautious and incremental approach to resumption.
Continue to monitor; intent to extend the permitted distances [to 300km or more] as soon as it is reasonable, safe to do so, and permitted by guidance [with inferred strong preference for an 'all UK' policy].

I shall be riding a DIY on 1 Aug and am ready to ride a 300 (et al) as soon as Audax UK's responsible, cautious and incremental approach to resumption allows. Here's the Wales End-to-end Permanent 600: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28456378?beta=false

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I submitted my DIY by GPS today (200), but I don't think I'll be able to ride it until 11th though which is fine and allows me to get a few more rides in to improve fitness. Looking forward to it - a nice ride, mostly flat to York which will allow me to become accustomed to the distance without worrying about an excessive amount of climbing.

Top Bottom