DNF - Except Russell Downing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girofan

So we are to have a British Cycling Tour team by 2010. Who is supposed to be in this team, taking into consideration only Russell Downing finished the World's?
I am not proposing that this is not possible, but if British riders cannot even finish a one day race, how are they going to compete in a three week tour?
Perhaps the more realistic approach would be for British Cycling to forget the current generation of riders and concentrate on a more long-term plan, culminating in riding the 2013 Vuelta.
Does anyone else consider that the recent success on the track has given those at British Cycling a false perspective on the strength of our World's team?
On a more positive note; congratulations are in order to Downing for a strong and gutsy ride. His determination should be an example for any aspiring young rider!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Downing rode a strong and gutsy race. I think for Millar, Stannard and Cummings it was a race too far after a hard season but maybe BC should have sent others. Rob Hayles must be pissed off for instance.

I notice that once you're dropped in the World Champs, riders tend to drop out as it's a lapped course. Only 77 finishers from a start list of 206.

trio25

Über Member
Rob Hayles said he didn't want to go!

I was very impressed with Downing, for a rider who has mainly rode in the UK this year to finish so well in the worlds shows we have a good standard of racing over here!

mondobongo

Über Member
Was surprising to see so many jack, I have to admit was not surprised to see David Millar pulling off and it was probably too much for Steve Cummings riding the TT and the RR.

Expected more from Chris Froome.

Great riding by Downing and as I said somewhere else on the Forum nice to see him mixing it up with the big boys.

Then again you look at who else was DNF and there is plenty of big names in there.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Don't read much into DNFs in pro races. I watched the Amstel Gold a couple of years back from the bottom of the decisive climb a few kms before the end. The field had got really strung out by then and half the field cut the hill and cycled along the flat to the end. A pro gets no more money coming 43rd rather than 50th, so they're better off saving strength for the next race.

Keith Oates

Janner
I still think that targetting a GB team for 2010 is not a bad idea. We have some very good young riders around and they could progress to a higher level by 2010, with the right training and support. We have to start somewhere and if the team is not in the top flight initially it will be a move in the right direction IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!

trio25

Über Member
bof said:
Don't read much into DNFs in pro races. I watched the Amstel Gold a couple of years back from the bottom of the decisive climb a few kms before the end. The field had got really strung out by then and half the field cut the hill and cycled along the flat to the end. A pro gets no more money coming 43rd rather than 50th, so they're better off saving strength for the next race.

I would have thought it was different in the worlds though as they are not being paid to be there by their pro team. Don't know much about road racing though it has to be said.

OP
OP
G

girofan

girofan said:
So we are to have a British Cycling Tour team by 2010. Who is supposed to be in this team, taking into consideration only Russell Downing finished the World's?
I am not proposing that this is not possible, but if British riders cannot even finish a one day race, how are they going to compete in a three week tour?
Perhaps the more realistic approach would be for British Cycling to forget the current generation of riders and concentrate on a more long-term plan, culminating in riding the 2013 Vuelta.
Does anyone else consider that the recent success on the track has given those at British Cycling a false perspective on the strength of our World's team?

I am pleased to say that I'm in illustrious company with this opinion! This weeks "Cycling Weakly" has a piece on Barry Hoban, in which he says more-or-less the same thing. British Cycling should have availed themselves of his expertise as soon has he retired from professional cycling, (ditto Robert "F***-off" Millar:angry:). What missed opportunities! :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
trio25 said:
I would have thought it was different in the worlds though as they are not being paid to be there by their pro team. Don't know much about road racing though it has to be said.

The same with knobs on. If you were asked to do an extra days work for free, would you? Unless they're in with a chance of some recognition (e.g. top-ten) it doesn't seem worthwhile.

trio25

Über Member
I guess I would just be excited to finish in the worlds, but then it isn't a job for me.

Can't help thinking Downing must have been gutted to be passed over for Jhonny Bellis and Ben Swift (good riders tho they are) for Beijing so they could 'gain experience' for 2012.

What a load of boll*cks. Bellis and Swift will go onto Pro careers where they'll get all the experience they need for 2012 in the next four years.

Just goes to show you that BC haven't a clue when it comes to the mens road team (just ask gottheteeshirt).

A BC team in the Tour by 2012 ? Yes probably if D Millar or Hammond are the DS.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This talk of a British grand tour team seems a bit premature to me. We haven't even got a Brit who can win an open stage on the big tours apart from Cav in a led-out sprint. We need to walk the walk a bit first IMO before we shoot our mouths off. They also need to concentrate on the road rather than twin training on the track for 2012.

From what I've read Wiggins wants to do the track in London and maybe give it a good go on the road before then. Millar and Hammond are past their best. Cummings and Stannard and Swift etc may prove to be good enough but there are a lot of tough old pros and hungry new kids on the continent. I'd hate to see BC and Brailsford make fools of themselves over this.

yenrod

Remember when Matt Stephens a couple of years back got England/GB qualified for some big competition.

Top Bottom