Do all pedals disassemble?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Remember the tick...tick..tick? Well, it's back. And I suspect the left pedal. I've been working it hard for two years, and even a bit of googling suggests I should have 're-greased' it a fair while back. But I can't see any way into the bugger. Do all pedals come apart, or are some 'sealed units' that you just have to dump when they wear out? (They're either Ritchey or Cannondale SPDs - I'm not sure which.) Thanks if you can help.

Pedant

Can't help with the query but with regard to your signature, surely Notlob isn't a palindrome. ;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
On the outside end of the pedal there may/should be a plastic cover over the end of the axle. Use a small flat ended screwdriver to flip it out and there should be a nut that undoes and allows you access to the bearings, if all looks well inside it may just need some tightening up.

Arm yourself with a grease gun, drill a small hole in the end cap and pump grease into it until clean grease comes out of the inboard bearing. Best done when pedals are new. Yours might be beyond saving but at the very least it'll shut the basterds up for a while.

yello

Careful - whilst an spd pedal may come apart, it may not go back together again! I learnt the hard way; fortunately with a pair of bargain bin spds!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
yello said:
Careful - whilst an spd pedal may come apart, it may not go back together again! I learnt the hard way; fortunately with a pair of bargain bin spds!

What model were they? I haven't stripped my pedals as yet and seem to have solved a knock by tightening the 11mm nut by a smidge, I was hoping I could replace the bearings as I have sucessfully done on older pedals, am I being too ambitious?

yello

Darned if I can remember tbh. Not a name name; bought for a fiver from Cycle Surgery in Spitalfields a few years back. They were yellow if it helps! I've been out to the shed to see if I still had them but no joy.

I loosened the tension spring screw a little too much and the internals came apart completely. The pedal case prevented getting it all back together and Cycle Surgery told me it couldn't be done. Probably why they were in the 'bargain' bin!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
yello said:
Darned if I can remember tbh. Not a name name; bought for a fiver from Cycle Surgery in Spitalfields a few years back. They were yellow if it helps! I've been out to the shed to see if I still had them but no joy.

I loosened the tension spring screw a little too much and the internals came apart completely. The pedal case prevented getting it all back together and Cycle Surgery told me it couldn't be done. Probably why they were in the 'bargain' bin!

So that was the cleat grabbing gubbins you couldn't re-assemble and not the axle bearings?

I'm just trying out clipless with a second hand pair of M324's which had a slight knock that I've eliminated by tightening them but fully expect to either be able to replace the bearings or, if not, chuck 'em if I have to.

Wot say you knowledgeable peeps of CC?:blush:

yello

tdr1nka said:
So that was the cleat grabbing gubbins you couldn't re-assemble and not the axle bearings?

Correct. From memory, the axle couldn't be removed at all. I must have a proper look in the shed (I don't usually throw anything away) because I'm interested now.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Gettin worried now, is yello still in the shed?:blush:

While sat here I have Googled up replacement axle assemblies for my pedals, but no pics of the parts.
So in theory I can take the axle apart!!:blush:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all, especially tdr1nka, who was spot on. Took some persuading, but I got the seal off with an electrical screwdriver and the rest was easy, if fiddly. Regreased, re attached, and a trial ride this afternoon was reassuringly silent. So far so good...

Top Bottom