Do any chains locks actually work???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I suppose it depends where you live. Here in North Wales, sheep are not interested in bikes, unless they are painted green.

OP
OP
Mozzy

Mozzy

I think my mistake thus far is not having a D lock. Got the longer cable type ones (three actually, two Aldi and one Gold Abus) methinks I need to splash out of my peers advice and get a D-jobby. Oh sheet, more money, first tyres, then a pump, oh well, what else would I spend it on? Hmmmm, that 62 Corvette is hever so tempting.

Mozzy

Rob500

Years ago I saw a programme in which 3 teams were tasked with 'inventing' a bike lock / anti-theft device. A bloke was on hand to test their final submissions. He may have been a reformed thieving git (poacher turned game keeper type) or a locksmith type who knew about these things, I don't rightly remember.

Team 1 came up with what I called back then a bog standard bike lock which yer man opened in about 2 seconds.

Team 2 came up with a fake turd, placing it at the bike, hoping it would deter any thieves. It did not.

Team 3 came up with something most unusal. They never locked or chained it. They fixed it so that when they parked the bike they used an allen key to turn something at the top of the handlebars. The result was that when you turned left the wheel went right and vice versa. The 'thief' gave up trying to 'steal' it because he couldn't stay on the bike.

Obviously, there was a bit of fun element to that prgramme and there was nothing to stop the thief just walking the bike away or chucking it in the back of a van.

Stephenite

Membå
There are a few things you can do to slow down a thief. Unclipping the brakes has always been a favourite of mine. The old standard - removing a wheel, or taking the seat with you. Loosen the headset so they can't steer - that sort of thing.

But it's basically down to not leaving your pride n' joy out of sight, and if you do, i n s u r a n c e.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think my mistake thus far is not having a D lock. Got the longer cable type ones (three actually, two Aldi and one Gold Abus) methinks I need to splash out of my peers advice and get a D-jobby. Oh sheet, more money,

I think you are worrying too much, there really is not an expert bike thief around every corner eager to pinch your bike. Certainly if habitually leaving your bike at a public place for eight or so hours a day there is a higher risk of theft but the risk is not so great when the bike is casually parked for a few minutes at random places. No doubt someone will tell of high risk areas, but these are localised.
Cable locks may not be as secure, but are much more adaptable in that they can secure your bike to a greater variety of fixed objects, street furniture, trees, fence posts etc..

vickster

Legendary Member
My bike was stolen at 2pm on a sunny Sunday afternoon on a very busy London Street...from outside a bike shop...probably high risk...left for around 15 minutes...I'd like to think I was just very unlucky :sad:

Oh and before someone else points it out, I was probably very daft for using a cable lock (albeit a reasonable one) which I had done severla times before in the same and similar locations :sad: I wouldn't have done so if I had been locking up for a long time - a cable lock was lighter and more adaptable - I always struggle getting the massive D Lock properly locked up without damaging the bike :blush:

Must have been a thief out for a stroll with a set of bolt cutters :angry:

OP
OP
Mozzy

Mozzy

My bike was stolen at 2pm on a sunny Sunday afternoon on a very busy London Street...from outside a bike shop...probably high risk...left for around 15 minutes...I'd like to think I was just very unlucky :sad:

Oh and before someone else points it out, I was probably very daft for using a cable lock (albeit a reasonable one) which I had done severla times before in the same and similar locations :sad: I wouldn't have done so if I had been locking up for a long time - a cable lock was lighter and more adaptable - I always struggle getting the massive D Lock properly locked up without damaging the bike :blush:

Must have been a thief out for a stroll with a set of bolt cutters :angry:

Bastad fecking thief; hope he gets infected by a thousand pus ridden maggoty looking creatures and burns in hell …if there is one.
angry.gif

Mozzy

Top Bottom