Do any chains locks actually work???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzy

Have just been registering my bicycle and was reading Police tips to reduce theft of bicycles. I watched a Dutch guy destroy around 8 locks in usually 8-15 seconds each. Agreed I don't intend to leave it out much but there will be occasions, mostly say to Supermeerkats etc. I've three good locks including an Abus gold one. But honestly there are vids of set ups being filmed in really busy locations, bolt cutters, bottle jacks and all with no one taking a blind bit of notice.

I appreciate riding an old dog for such outings is a good idea but hey, I like riding my only bicycle, so does anything actually work that is on sale? If 20 seconds is about it, then what is the point ? Other than to stop an opportunist I suppose.

Am I likely to get stick if I wheel my cycle around with me in Sainsbury's? Which is best, right by the doors, in the foyer?? I was then planning on going over to Lidls to see what they had left. Same applies I suppose for taking bike inside I mean. I can see the difficulties as it would indeed be a pain if there were loads of bikes being wheeled round.

The Netherlands vid stated 900,000 cycles get stolen every year …JEEZ that is just so feckin wrong! I don't suppose the Police are really that bothered but hey ho, it is after all our pride and joy and whichever way you look at it some bastard thief has stolen something that simply does not belong to them.

I get more and more angry when I hear these days all too frequently that the Police have given a crime number and not even bothered to turn up; be that house burglary or bicycle or car theft. I suppose a motor cycle or car is far more important not just value but to prevent the thief killing someone whilst driving.

Sheet, this is a perverse society we live in today.

Anyway, is there such a thing that will pass the low teens in seconds of resistance?

Mozzy

numbnuts

Legendary Member
abus granit x-plus 54 :thumbsup:
I'm not saying it can't be cut, but it is very hard steel and it will wear down a cutting wheel very quickly,on test they used 3 cutting wheels if I remember correctly, also as it is square you will have to cut both sides and it will not rotate, but it does have a price in £ and pounds

BSRU

A Human Being
Almax chains, in fact in general any chain 16mm or above cannot be hand cropped and hence provides some decent resistance to being compromised.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I routinely park my bike up in Taunton, including outside every supermarket and never had a problem. Even managed to leave my wallet in my rack pack one day and nothing had been touched when I got back. :wacko:

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I routinely park my bike up in Taunton, including outside every supermarket and never had a problem. Even managed to leave my wallet in my rack pack one day and nothing had been touched when I got back. :wacko:

You're lucky enough to live in Taunton though - I think that's a major security measure right there!

I have an oxford chain lock a bit like this one (it's a bit older, but was a similar price):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8494

It weighs a tonne, but I managed to carry it to Paris (around my waist!)

and one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-...PRG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319108060&sr=8-1

although I want to upgrade to this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18394

Some times, If I am feeling super strong/paranoid, I also stick this on:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1ASGAK06BXQTKEWYYFAW

Which I got for my Vespa, before I had to sell her :cry:

snailracer

Über Member
The chunkier chain locks work slightly better than D-locks - chains cannot be bottle-jacked and are more awkward to grind because the links jump around.

vickster

Legendary Member
Apparently even Sold secure gold locks like the Abus granit can be breached in 5 minutes :sad: ...rubbish eh...maybe a hungry Rottweiler is better protection?

vickster

Legendary Member
Lucky you. I tried that at a Tesco petrol station and was told to get out...there was nowhere provided to lock it up...guess they are designed for cars :whistle: I only wanted a pint of milk, had to go over to the main store which was annoying

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was told to get out of a corner shop i went into for more drink......... i was the only person in there and i was on my nice roadie.

tyred

Legendary Member
A tip for anyone using a normal chain and padlock to lock up a bike is to cut a section of old inner tube and put the chain through the centre to protect the paintwork of the bike.

snailracer

Über Member
Oh and close the padlock around some spokes - that way, a thief needs to cut the chain AND the padlock before he can sell it on.

tyred

Legendary Member
Oh and close the padlock around some spokes - that way, a thief needs to cut the chain AND the padlock before he can sell it on.
That's given me an idea. Also put a padlock through one of holes in the chainwheel. It would prevent the bike from being ridden as it would de-rail the chain and catch on the chainstay and/or front mech.

Just make sure you lock the frame and wheels to the lock point.

Anything that has a quick release or isn't bolted to something else can be quickly and easily stolen.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
if your bike hasn't been nicked, than any lock works.

It's only when the bike goes the lock has failed you and I guess even the most expensive locks have been breached.

Just get something (not a cable) the looks meaty as f*ck for around the most you can afford and hope.

Top Bottom