Do any of you commute on your recumbent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Very occasionally I see a local guy, complete with wheeled trailer, commuting on his recumbent. It's a rare enough sight and an unusual enough combination that I assume most drivers pay attention / see him coming (the white flag poles and orange triangle flags probably help too).

I've always assumed, in comparison with a regular bicycle, that the lower height / riding position of a recumbent would take you below the practical line-of-sight of drivers and make it a little more challenging commuting on a bent.

What has your experience been?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I worry about those give way lines, painted barely 2mm above the road. How on earth will drivers see them? :biggrin:

I commute across London most days on my recumbent. When I pull up next to a car, it becomes apparent that our eye lines are at broadly the same height. If anything, I suspect the presence of a face at their window rather than a pair of anonymous hips means they treat me as more of a human. For night riding, my lights are the same height as they would be on an upright.

Yes, you'll always have the outliers. Those that don't look. Those that don't see. I'm taller than an MX5, I'm taller than an Audi TT, I represent less of a threat than either, so sometimes I'm still invisible. After 8 years of doing this daily, I've come to learn that my biggest threats are from other road users pulling out into my path, and from not those who are behind me.

In that instance, I'd far rather hit them with my chainwheel, or at a push, my feet. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bimble

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
I worry about those give way lines, painted barely 2mm above the road. How on earth will drivers see them? :biggrin:
Ha ha ... yes, never thought of that really, and your (very good) reply covered the other scenario I'd wondered about - that of coming up alongside vehicles in traffic.

Out of interest, do you see many other recumbent riders on your commute or are you the only one regularly doing your routes?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Very occasionally I see a local guy, complete with wheeled trailer, commuting on his recumbent. It's a rare enough sight and an unusual enough combination that I assume most drivers pay attention / see him coming (the white flag poles and orange triangle flags probably help too).

I've always assumed, in comparison with a regular bicycle, that the lower height / riding position of a recumbent would take you below the practical line-of-sight of drivers and make it a little more challenging commuting on a bent.

What has your experience been?

I used to and it was great. There's no visibility problem for drivers, and I see @arallsopp has already explained that. If anything, I got much more room on the road when riding the 'bent, probably from a "WTF is that?!" reaction rather than anyone taking care around a cyclist. There's really no need for extreme measures like big flags on poles etc.

My only challenge was filtering through stationary traffic, which I cut back on a lot because my view ahead to what traffic was doing further along was compromised in comparison to my upright.

classic33

Leg End Member
Day I bought what is now "Beast O'Burden", I was told to watch myself by the seller.

Cycling into Manchester city centre, and through it I was given the lane! Only one reason it's not been used for more commutes, this side o'Pennines is down to lack of secure storage.

At present I'm the only recumbent rider round these parts. There were two others nearby, but they've gone. Maybe the hills got them, I don't know.

Ha ha ... yes, never thought of that really, and your (very good) reply covered the other scenario I'd wondered about - that of coming up alongside vehicles in traffic.

Out of interest, do you see many other recumbent riders on your commute or are you the only one regularly doing your routes?

Try the white van test

I had someone explain me that my trike should not be on the road bacause they cannot see it if there is a car between us and is therefore too dangerous to be allowed

I pointed out that their car should not be on the road because it cannot be seen if there is a white van between us and is therefore too dangerous to be allowed

In all honesty the problem drivers will be exactly that no matter what you ride or drive

Until a recent injury I used to commute daily with absolutely no issues

There is also another forum member who commutes to the same site on recumbents

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I'm coming up to 6 or 7 years now commuting by 'bent. Immediately after starting on my first machine (a Bacchetta Strada) I noticed a big decrease in near passes, and now I wouldn't go back to regularly commuting on a df bike. Besides the Strada I've owned a couple of Trices, Catrike 700, Optima Baron, Rainbow Lyner, Raptobike (low) and currently ride the awesome Trice Borealis, and will soon be back on the Metabike 700 when the weather improves.

I get mainly favourable comments (especially on the Boreslis) and yes, I've had a few people comment on the safety. I give the usual responses.
You can see the white lines so you can see me
How many other bikes do you remember passing today, none??? and yet you remember me!
I'm faster so I can keep with the flow of traffic
If I come off it's not as far to fall
I'm more visible
I look weird so people give me a much wider berth, etc etc etc.

Admittedly, you have to be more on the ball watching for emerging traffic from side streets etc, but hey, that's something I can get ready for and take action to prevent myself getting hit. The other things that I can't take action against, like getting rear ended, or hit head on are far less likely to happen as I'm so much more noticeable.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
If I'm scheduled a night shift or Sunday shift I will commute using my trike, as I am permitted to bring it into my workplace when on those shifts. Lack of secure bike storage prevents me from commuting every day.

There is a night & day difference between space left for me when on a df & recumbent.

PaulM

Guru
Yes, largely. On my route the recumbent trike is more relaxing than the 'bent bike because: stopping and starting on a trike is easier than on a bike (feet stay clipped in at all times & have quicker acceleration from a standing start) and because I find it easier holding a straight line when climbing over the hill on a busy road with traffic overtaking me. I seem to get given more room on the trike than on the bike. I don't think flags are of any real use on my route, but I wear a hi-vis helmet which is clearly visible from behind (unlike a flag).

I have been using an upright bike again this winter because I think it gives my back a better workout and I was getting a weak back. Also I discovered alternative routes using pavements which got me away from traffic and which I felt was safer to use in the dark. These are easier to negotiate on a short wheelbase upright, and I get off and walk it as required. Will be going back to the trike shortly.

If I'm scheduled a night shift or Sunday shift I will commute using my trike, as I am permitted to bring it into my workplace when on those shifts. Lack of secure bike storage prevents me from commuting every day.

There is a night & day difference between space left for me when on a df & recumbent.

I solved this with a folding trike!!!!

My Gekko folds, and fits into the secure locker!!!

P5240046-1.jpg

Top Bottom