Do AOL not want me to look at Talk Talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

My AOL provision has been seriously under performing recently (unlike their marketing department who have on 4 occasions passed on the good news that they have increased my speed to 8MB), and I have begun to get the impression they are throttling my service to under 1MB (or at least that is what BT is suggesting). So today I've been looking at the Talk Talk website which is taking over 5 minutes to load each text page.... Hmmm I wonder if AOL have their foot on the hose ;)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Could be a problem with your OS.
My Vista installation got so slow that IE8 was unuseable, Firefox only just liveable. Everything else was working normally. In the end I installed Win7, but when I did so it came up with all sorts of warnings that my Vista was corrupted.

OP
OP
T

TVC

I've tried everything at my end and the problem is over three different machines, I've changed the filter, gone back to the main house socket, swept all the computers etc. The general problem is with the BT line. Talking with BT they say they've tested the line and it's good for 6.5MB so my ISP could be capping my speed, AOL have just e-mailed me and claim the line is good for 2.5MB so it must be my fault, but if I ring their premium rate number they will check again.

This still does not explain why the Talk Talk website is unuseably slow, and I did get my neighbour to try it this afternoon on his BT service and it works fine. I'm not impressed.

Noodley

I'm fairly sure the latest stuff I got from AOL when I got wireless router said something like "AOL brought to you by Talk Talk"

Mark_Robson

I'm with Aol and Talk Talk's web site is loading fine for me. BT can only ping to your junction box so you may want to try experimenting with any extension leads that you are using again.
Also try one of the numerous broadband speed tests available online.

OP
OP
T

TVC

Everything is OK at my end Mark, guess I'll have to ring the premium rate line.

OP
OP
T

TVC

I finally got through to the AOL Tech Support place (India it seems) and after 10 minutes trying to explain that one of her colleagues had already worked through the problem with me and we had agreed it was a BT line fault she finally decided to do a line test. Now I don't have an AOL router, I use a Linksys job, and on working this out she stated that she couldn't do the line test and help me unless I had an AOL router, which she could provide if I agreed to renew an 18 month contract - cheeky bleeder!

I had a word with TalkTalk, and they are happy to take me on with a line fault, and sort it as part of their initial set up/optimisation process. So now a TalkTalk router is on the way and AOL can shove it. Yes I do know it's the same company now, bizarre really in one guise it has a good reputation and in the other it's just shoddy.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have to say that up until the last three or four months, the five or so years I have been with AOL have been almost faultless. There have however been several outages recently which are severely irritating. When I have called their helpline to report it, after going through a heap of press-button options, they tell me it is a known fault which they are working on.

Top Bottom