Do canvas-bodied tyres give better puncture protection?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I have a canvas-bodied tyre on the front of my Raleigh. I don't know how old it is but the rubber outer coating is badly cracked and worn. I usually get about one puncture a year in it.

My rear tyre seems to be completely rubber, apart from the wire beading. I bought it new in 2010, I normally get a puncture in it every month or two.

Given that the rear wheel can only go where the front has already been would it be reasonable to conclude that canvas-bodied tyres give better puncture protection?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The rear tyre gets far more abuse than the front one so rear punctures are more likely I think. I've not heard of material of construction making a difference, other than higher TPI ratings being more resistant.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The answer is no. Canvas tyres are an old technology that gives little puncture protection compared to more modern materials. Only 1 puncture a year is down to it having less load on.

For good puncture protection you need a tyre with a kevlar carcass (same stuff as is used for bullet-proof vests) and a good thread count, which many tyres now do. For better protection still, tyres such as Schwalbe Marathon add in an extra layer of different rubber in the tread which resists penetration.

Incidentally, your rear tyre will still have some sort of fabric carcass to it. A completely rubber tyre would simply not have sufficient strength to contain any pressure.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
So kevlar can stop bullets but not necessarily thorns. It's only a matter of time before arms manufacturers catch on and start making thorn tipped bullets.

Conversely does it mean that I'll be ok if the cops try to shoot out my tyres when I'm in a high speed getaway on my bike.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
So kevlar can stop bullets but not necessarily thorns. It's only a matter of time before arms manufacturers catch on and start making thorn tipped bullets.
Don't go giving them ideas.:stop: :laugh:

The thorns can slip through smaller gaps, hence needing a higher thread count to try and catch the little blighters. :thumbsup:

Conversely does it mean that I'll be ok if the cops try to shoot out my tyres when I'm in a high speed getaway on my bike.
You test it out and we'll watch and take notes.:whistle:

Top Bottom