Do EBAY memberships lapse?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just thought I'd ask, bought something (not cycling related) off EBAY a few days ago and discovered to my inconvenience that my previous membership didn't work. I asked Ebay to confirm my login name and password but got no response. So I then tried re-registering a new account with ebay but using exactly the same username and personal details as before (but with a different password). Ebay didn't object. I managed to complete the purchase using the new registration.

I don't recall getting any E-mail to say my previous membership had lapsed. I think I last used Ebay about a year ago to make an (unsuccessful) bid.

Questions: 1. should they have allowed my former membership to lapse without telling me? 2. Even so, should they have 'released' my former username so that I could use it again - meaning that some rogue user could have snapped up my username and used it for nefarious purpose?

Should I complain?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Absolutely you should complain. Always a good idea. As to your other questions, I haven't a clue.

Let rip. Go on, you know you want to.

mark barker

Surprised that the old account had been cancelled, mine goes unused for ages and never had a problem. I don't see the reissue of a user name as a problem though, the feedback rating will be zero and it'll be flagged as a new user, so not sure how anyone could benefit from that?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I once tried to use the Forgot Password link from Ebay and never received an e-mail from them. In the meantime I remembered which of my many passwords I'd set it to.

I have no problems receiving e-mails when I buy through Ebay so I assumed their Forgot Password process was a bit dodgy. I only use my account infrequently and it's never lapsed.

taxing

I once tried to use the Forgot Password link from Ebay and never received an e-mail from them. In the meantime I remembered which of my many passwords I'd set it to.

I have no problems receiving e-mails when I buy through Ebay so I assumed their Forgot Password process was a bit dodgy. I only use my account infrequently and it's never lapsed.

I had this problem! I was worried that someone had pinched my account and changed the associated email address because I did know my password and it just wasn't working, so I kept emailing them and got nothing. Then two years later I tried the Forgot Password link again on a whim and it worked. I got my old account back. Weird.

Top Bottom