Do I carry on like this, or go back to what I know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I`m not sure whether this belongs here, in Commuting, or in Training, so I`ll start here:smile:

I`ve got a steel framed Genesis Flyer, which really lives up to it`s name and is a real pocket rocket. I love riding it, and I can almost hear it whispering "go on, give it some more, you know you want to!!" I just love it.

Anyhoo, I was in the market for a new commuter, so I thought I`d go for a Spesh Langster which would do that job nicely as I love the Genesis (but don`t want to kill it by riding 30 miles/day, 5 days/week), so the best of both worlds.

I really, really can`t get on with it. It`s geared higher than my Genesis which makes it bloody hard work, and Devon certainly isn`t flat! I really am finding it a slog, and after 2 weeks of owning it I just look at it with pure hatred:evil:

My main question is do I carry on in the hope that my legs will get used to this torture, or should I give up now and use one of my geared bikes? If it`s just a case of adapting then I`ll stick with it, but I don`t know anybody else with one who I can ask. My commute doesn`t have any really nasty hills which was why I went for it, but any slight incline is just hell on wheels. I`m also concerned that this could screw my knees up.

Btw, riding home tonight, against a bitter cold headwind, at a cadence of about 30, I nearly threw it in the hedge....seriously...............

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Change the gearing slightly to make it easier, and possibly go fixed rather than single speed freewheel.

OP
OP
I
Is fixed easier?

I tried it at the shop and the first thing I did was fall off!

As for gearing, my Genesis is 46/18 and that is perfect, to the letter. I "think" the Langster is 50/16, not a massive difference but enough to ruin the whole ride.

Surely a bigger sprocket means a new chain, or would the tensioning system allow for that?

Tim Hall

The Specialized website suggests the 2017 Langster (either the vanilla one or the "Street") have 48/17 gearing. That's a 74 inch gear, compared to 67 inch on the Genesis. Quite a step. And if it's 50/16 that's 82 inches. A massive step. No wonder you're feeling it.

If the Langster has a 48 tooth chain ring, you'll need a 19 tooth sprocket/freewheel. If it really is 50 teeth, you'll need a 20 tooth sprocket (this gives you an almost 66 inch gear)

The change from 17 tooth to 19 tooth is an extra inch of chain, so you'll probably need a new chain. I wasn't aware the Langster even had a tensioner. If it has, you might be alright. Suck it and see.

Finally, fixed is way cooler. Fact.

OP
OP
I
Ah ok I stand corrected on the sizing:blush:

It`s still bloody hard work - I really can`t get the revs up

When I said tensioner, I meant the repositioning of the wheel to allow for chain stretch etc. I think I need to go back to the shop for some different cog sizes, can`t carry on like this - it`s hell!!

keithmac

Guru
As everyone says make it the same gearing as your other bike and enjoy it!.

keithmac

Guru
'after 2 weeks of owning it I just look at it with pure hatred:evil:".

You won't use it as is and it'll gather dust at the back of the garage.

You've got a tried and tested sweet spot for gearing so go with what you're comfortable with imho.

RedRider

Pulling through
50:16 is a big gear for hilly terrain. I went from 48:18 to 48:17 earlier this spring and for the first couple of weeks it felt like i was always riding into a headwind but then my legs got used to it. As for fixed or free, my own experience was i found fixed a little easier particularly once i was confident spinning fast downhill (when of course the slightly bigger gear made sense).

Last edited:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I`m not sure whether this belongs here, in Commuting, or in Training, so I`ll start here:smile:

I`ve got a steel framed Genesis Flyer, which really lives up to it`s name and is a real pocket rocket. I love riding it, and I can almost hear it whispering "go on, give it some more, you know you want to!!" I just love it.

Anyhoo, I was in the market for a new commuter, so I thought I`d go for a Spesh Langster which would do that job nicely as I love the Genesis (but don`t want to kill it by riding 30 miles/day, 5 days/week), so the best of both worlds.

I really, really can`t get on with it. It`s geared higher than my Genesis which makes it bloody hard work, and Devon certainly isn`t flat! I really am finding it a slog, and after 2 weeks of owning it I just look at it with pure hatred:evil:

My main question is do I carry on in the hope that my legs will get used to this torture, or should I give up now and use one of my geared bikes? If it`s just a case of adapting then I`ll stick with it, but I don`t know anybody else with one who I can ask. My commute doesn`t have any really nasty hills which was why I went for it, but any slight incline is just hell on wheels. I`m also concerned that this could screw my knees up.

Btw, riding home tonight, against a bitter cold headwind, at a cadence of about 30, I nearly threw it in the hedge....seriously...............
I sympathise. One of my bikes has a 53-42 front ring. I have got used to it though, I think it has made me stronger. It's not going to be a long term option though. I can manage on it most of the time, just on the really steep bits all hell breaks loose!

3narf

For whom the bell dings
There's something wrong if you hate it. The gear defines the bike and it's addictive once you find your sweet spot, as you know from your Genesis.

Change to 46x17; that was my favourite ratio when I lived in High Peak. I use 48x17 now because Gloucestershire is much flatter (on the whole) but it still doesn't feel as good.

And seeing this is the 21st century, stick to the freewheel! Fixed isn't 'cooler,' it's just a fashion statement for bearded pricks in London! :laugh:

Top Bottom