Do I get my bike wet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I've finally got my new wheels for my best bike. She now absolutely flys along. Well I think it's quick, i've only actually been 100yrds on it because it's raining heavily here and I don't want to get the bike wet.

Should I stop being a wuss and take the bike out this afternoon for a test ride in the rain?

Should I take the bike on a club run tomorrow (in the rain) or just stick to my winter hack / commuter with mud-guards as I normally do whenever it rains?

longers

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
Should I stop being a wuss and take the bike out this afternoon for a test ride in the rain?

Should I take the bike on a club run tomorrow (in the rain) ?

Yes to both, provided you give it a good clean straight after. I think tomorrow isn't going to be too wet anyway.

dodgy

longers said:
Yes to both, provided you give it a good clean straight after. I think tomorrow isn't going to be too wet anyway.

That depens on where you live, but Metcheck (usually reliable), has issued a severe weather warning. Heavy rain and potentially gail force winds. I'd say it's a day for the hack bike (assuming they haven't got deep section rims). Me? I'm staying in with a good book, I don't ride in bad weather.

Dave.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm in Oldham so we're all in the right part of the country :smile: Metcheck isn't too bad for here tomorrow, very light showers till ten ish but plenty of wind.

I've got no choice about going out tomorrow, commitments have been made.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd say get out - it's only bad before you get out - usually fine once out - a little rain never hurt anyone, and the forecast isn't too bad for tomorrow..... so long as you give it TLC when it comes back - especially if it will sit still for a week or so....

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

The rain had just about stopped so I couldn't resist taking her out.

It will be a while before I attempt to use carbon wheels / cork pads in the wet again!

Plax

Guru
I'd have gone out on the old hack myself. When it is raining heavily here I always take the GT Nomad Sport out and leave the Dawes Galaxy at home. Got caught out on the way home one time, and the Dawes got a soaking. Spent about an hour drying it of (making sure I got all the water off the screwheads so they don't go rusty etc), proofiding the seat and relubing etc. Sad or what ;). The Dawes is still my new baby.

Top Bottom