Do I live in a different world?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Err, no it don't

interesting - which job doesn't it do..?

It doesn't offer the same amount of protection from the elements as the Rapha jacket, and thats speaking from experience.

the jacket's job (the Windtex, I'm talking about) is designed to keep you warm on long winter rides. Mine does that. I'm sure other jackets can do the same - but not necessarily for that price.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I didnt realise how many cycling tops I had bought in the last 12yrs until my wife yesterday questioned on seeing all the tops in my cycling wardrobe. I counted 30 tops alone which suprised me (not). She called me "Imelda Marcos of the cycling world". I replied,"That includes the Cycle Chat top as well though":blush: Cycling for me is my workhorse, hobby / pastime and part of my life which has been with me from childhood. I have spent a small fortune on bikes, tools, kit, memorabilia and magazines. If I like it and want it - I will buy it whatever the cost and which is funded from overtime money which I never refuse.

Your not comparing like for like though... Take Specialized as a brand with a presence in the UK... They have UK trained dealers and service engineers, they have concept stores which have bike fit centres. Specialized frames have a lifetime guarantee. Compare this to a Rose which does not have a UK presence or support structure, as such if your Rose frame is damaged or destroyed by an accident or a fall within five years from the date of purchase, you will receive 50% of the retail price of a new frame. From the UK Rose will also charge you for the shipping costs incurred.

You'll feel you've a bargain if everything is as you would expect, if this is not the case you could find yourself wishing you went with an established brand

Unless the original link is playing up Nebulous was talking about a Trelock light not a bike or a frame, so no offence intended, but I do not see the direct relevence of your reply.

If you are making a more general point about paying for the service that Specialized or others provide then that is a valid argument. You make your choice between the full service experience and a discount price.

However, the fact that Specialized will not allow their UK dealers to ship products outside the UK or German dealers to ship products outside Germany seems like an attempt to segment markets and ramp up profits.

400bhp

Guru
They also have limitations on bike shops displaying their bikes within a certain radius of another shop.

Out of order IMO.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I try to buy quality if I can,as it seems to last!if its wind proof I expect it to keep me warm,I have out door gear from 20 years ago still going strong,safety gear is worth spending a bit more on ie helmets ,glasses and gloves
I shoot and have to wear shooting glasses and they cost over £300 but are designed for the job and should protect my mys if the worst happens,
but the other argument with cycling gear is a fall can scuff up your kit but good stuff protects you,I have shredded a couple of tops in the summer with my compression vest taking the brunt not my back,good shorts are a must as I don't want to grate my under carriage ,but jerseys endura suits me well with a smattering of gore

Nebulous

Guru
try Bike24, Rose bikes or one of the other German sites, much cheaper than the UK so when you get it you'll feel you've a bargin:thumbsup:

Ohh and if you do get one let us know what it's like: I too am tempted

You shouldn't encourage me - not that I need much help! Anyway I've bought one. £75 from BikeDiscount.de including carriage. Cheapest UK site I could find was over £100

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I tend to buy for value for money.

I have some really good kit, some cheap kit. I spent a lot on my bikes, but 3 of the 4 I have had for 20 or more years. The newer bike is 3.5 years old, so have represented great value. Tools wise, I have a mix of quality stuff, park, Shimano, campag cone spanners and headset tools, but they have taken over 20 years to get together.

I've got a fair amount of Aldi gloves and winter tops, and a fair amount of Decathlon stuff, why, it's great value and I won't panic if it gets wrecked.

lulubel

Über Member
Take this morning for example, myself & 2 mates were out for an early morning ride, the temperature was around 2-3 degrees. I was wearing a Rapha jersey and Rapha gillet with Castelli bib tights. One of my mates had 2 baselayers, a cycling jersey, thermal leggings under cheap bib tights, a cycling jacket, a buff plus neckwarmer and he was still saying he was cold. Where as I was having to undo the zip on my jersey and gillet as I was a little warm when cycling up hill.

This is where we're all so different. I opt for thin, lightweight, cheaper clothes because changes in temperature affect me so much, and I like to be able to add or remove layers to suit. What wouldn't work for you, and clearly doesn't work for your mate, works well for me. My partner is the same as you, and rides in a quality jersey and a lovely Gore jacket that I lust after every now and then - until I remember that I'd cook in it as soon as the sun came out, but wouldn't be able to take it off because I'd freeze in just my jersey!

Widge

Baldy Go
I am the original cheapskate, buy cheap-buy twice- kind of guy...but I just LOVE a bargain........even if I have to buy several 'bargains' to find one that really IS!

I have a cheap bargain bike....that works well as is (yes you all know what it is!) and enjoy finding bargain bits and discounted bobs to trick it out. I have armfuls of Aldi kit which (mostly) works well enough. The difference between their £16.99 soft-shell winter jacket and a Rapha or Altura £169.00 jacket is no crisis for me.........however-I do tend NOT to scrimp on things like helmets, tyres and brake blocks. While it's all good clean fun to ride around in slightly dodgy tights, shoddy tyres are a different matter entirely IMO.

w

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Your not comparing like for like though... Take Specialized as a brand with a presence in the UK... They have UK trained dealers and service engineers, they have concept stores which have bike fit centres. Specialized frames have a lifetime guarantee. Compare this to a Rose which does not have a UK presence or support structure, as such if your Rose frame is damaged or destroyed by an accident or a fall within five years from the date of purchase, you will receive 50% of the retail price of a new frame. From the UK Rose will also charge you for the shipping costs incurred.

You'll feel you've a bargain if everything is as you would expect, if this is not the case you could find yourself wishing you went with an established brand

I think you'll find Rose is an established brand.

Top Bottom