Do I need a computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jo25

Well, been commuting regularly (ish) for about 2 months now and have been truely suckered in to wanting all the gear to go with the cycling habitat (even if my bright red face when I get to work shows that I am not as much of a cyclist as some may be led to believe by my outfit ;)).

The latest thing I have got into my head that I want is a computer. My commute is only a 6 mile round trip, but have been trying to get a longer ride in on the weekends too. So do I really need one? What will I get out of it? And if I do decide to get one any recommendations (not looking to spend loads, maybe up to about £30?

Cheers

Odyssey

You don't need a computer, but it's ok to want one.

andyfromotley

Hi jo,
i alternate my commute between an old mtb (no computer) and road bike (computer) and i have noticed i am much more relaxed when i am not worried about times average speed etc........ no computer makes it much more enjoyable for me. Go figure

andy

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'm in two minds about it. It's been satisfying watching my speeds go up and my times come down and a bit of a challenge can be good but it isn't necessary all the time. I do like having a clock on my handlebars so I know when I need to get a move on in the morning! I think I'll keep the computer on the bike to record total mileage but not be so obsessed with looking at it on every commute. Like andyfromotley said that's more relaxing.

My computer was a cheap one from Lidl with a heart rate monitor and I've been very pleased with it so far. They are only stocked a couple of weeks a year though.

I like having a computer fitted to my computer, mainly for the clock although its nice to flick through the other stats. Its just a cheap Raleigh Echo wireless I've found it quite reliable, I've had it for about 7 years, although I've only been using it for commuting in the last 3 years (all weathers). It occasionally stops recording but thats just a sign I need to replace the battery.

Ive been stoped by the cops for speeding 5 times now and when I did'nt have a computer I could blag it. Then I was given one for my Bday and put it on my bike two weeks later I get a big telling off for speeding 46 in a 30 and I could not talk my way out of it as I had a computer!

spandex said:
Ive been stoped by the cops for speeding 5 times now and when I did'nt have a computer I could blag it. Then I was given one for my Bday and put it on my bike two weeks later I get a big telling off for speeding 46 in a 30 and I could not talk my way out of it as I had a computer!
I don't think I'll have that problem the only time Ive broken 40 is in a 60zone ;)

Dave5N

Über Member
spandex said:

Yeah? On what basis?

Danny

Legendary Member
Enough bragging, and back to the OP.

I got a Cateye Mitty about 12 months ago after many years of thinking I didn't really need one, and am really pleased I did.

I find it particularly useful when I am touring or on long day rides and want to work out how far I've gone. I also like the maximum speed function as this always gives a pleasingly larger figure than the average speed.

Having said that, I hardly use any of the other functions. I did start off keeping a close eye on my average speed, but soon found this too depressing as it wasn't improving at all, though this could just be a fault with the computer :angry:

simoncc

Jo25 said:
Well, been commuting regularly (ish) for about 2 months now and have been truely suckered in to wanting all the gear to go with the cycling habitat (even if my bright red face when I get to work shows that I am not as much of a cyclist as some may be led to believe by my outfit :angry:).

The latest thing I have got into my head that I want is a computer. My commute is only a 6 mile round trip, but have been trying to get a longer ride in on the weekends too. So do I really need one? What will I get out of it? And if I do decide to get one any recommendations (not looking to spend loads, maybe up to about £30?

Cheers

£30! You can get a decent one for £10 from Halfords or even less if you shop around. Cycle computers are mainly useful as mileometers and tripmeters as in a car. OK, you don't really need one on a bike but it's satisfying to see the cycling miles tot up. And it's fun to know what speed you are going and how fast you can pedal if you really try. As they are so cheap why not get one?

Top Bottom