Do I need a computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I also have computers on all of my bikes and would not be without them as they give you all the info you need ref distance, time and speed. I don't cycle with my eye 'glued' to the computer but I find it keeps up the interest to know what you have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Tynan

Veteran
I like knowing how fast I'm going or not, real time and cadence, the rest don;t matter although ride time v real time always shocks me regarding time spend daydreaming at traffic lights, average moving speed 15.5mph (including slowing and stopping) yet it takes an hour to do 12.5 miles, I've been idly working this out in my head for weeks, even counting all the slowing and speeding times it means I'm stopped for 12 minutes in the hour, not sure I want to work out the full effect, reckon it's well in excess of 18 minutes n the hour used up on lights

how can you live without knowing that, get one, they're that cheap

(although mine wasn't, Delphi4 from operation support the LBS)

OP
OP
J

Jo25

Thanks for all the replies. It's interesting to see what everyone else thinks of them. I might, as you say, go for a cheap one and see how I get on with it.
Cheers

domtyler

Über Member
The problem with computers is that they tend to take something away from the simple activity of cycling. You will find yourself constantly monitoring your speed and all the other stats you get.

By all means get one, but try and leave it at home every now and then so you can remember what cycling is all about.

Danny

Legendary Member
Of course the best thing about computers is that if used right they enable you to come up with extravagant claims about your average speed which you can then post to wind up Bonj :angry:

walker

Jo25 said:
Thanks for all the replies. It's interesting to see what everyone else thinks of them. I might, as you say, go for a cheap one and see how I get on with it.
Cheers

Joe for what its worth, you might as well spend your budget on a computer, as you might get a cheap one get engrossed in it and need one that does a little bit more, then get another that does even more.

I've spend around £450 on computers in the last 4 years just getting another that tells me when I need to brush my teeth and put the cat out

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I got one free from Halfords (:smile:) a few yrs back with some tubes, and the missus got me one for my birthday (forgetting I already had one... doh!) but never mind, so now I have one on each of the 2 bikes I use most regularly (I also have a 'pub bike'). Personally I just like keeping a tally of how many miles I've done (which I keep a note of on cyclogs) on each bike/in total. Averasge speed is always about the same, so I'm not bothered about upping my stats... I only push myself in terms of personal goal of mileage for the year... so I find them useful, not a chore and not an annoyance. :rolleyes:

postman

Legendary Member
I have one on my Dawes Galaxy.But not on the Giant rincon which i use on the towpaths and local bridleways.As distance and speed seems irrelevant on this type of riding.To me anyway.

longers said:
Having ENORMOUS calves would be an advantage as well eh? :tongue:

Well yer it dose:biggrin:

Dave5N said:
Yeah? On what basis?

For most of the time I got stoped for over taking cars in a 30 zone!. I got out of it buy saying that I was thinking that the cars where slow for some reason that I could not see.

MarkF

Guru
Got mine from Sainsbury's at Xmas for £12, found it great quality, better than Trek one that cost me £30 and was stolen. I then went back to get another for the missus and they were £30:ohmy: They'd been incorrectly priced.

Having a computer encourages me to cycle more often and further, I have a "need to know", how far, how fast, average etc etc and the clock helps too, wouldnt be without one.

Jaded

Having a computer make sit easier to tot up how many miles you've done on a bike that you would have done in a car. That's useful when it comes to justifying an expense for the bike.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have no idea if a computer is of any value but I wanted to check my physical ability for my MSc research.
I bought the computer from Aldi as mentioned in the sticky in the 'Know How' forum as it was only £4.99 and so minimal loss in investment if it wasn't really needed. That might be the way to go for you, get the cheap one and if you love it get a better one and if you don't then it's only £5.

john59

Guru
A computer is very handy for keeping track of how your components wear/last over miles/kilometres covered. I’d recommend a ‘Cateye mitty 8’

John

I got a cat eye for christmas and wouldn't want to be without it. I admit I get a little bit anal about the stats, but the main thing I enjoy is using current speed to motivate myself and also I enjoyed discovering how to better use my gears to get more efficient cadence.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Well you don't actually need a computer, but once you get one it can become addictive, I recommend the VDO Cytec C4, which has all the functions you need, is water proof and very reliable...

Top Bottom