Do I need a microwave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The day the axe falls on my faux-independent living draws ever closer, and with it the need to rationalise seven year's worth of stuff accumulated living away from the family home.

One of these items is a vintage microwave I've had since Uni, that was aged then when gifted to me by a colleague. On the one hand I feel somewhat attached to it as it's built like a tank (must be at least 25yrs old) and it's served me well. On the other I never really use it (no hot drinks or microwave meals, don't do baked spuds and am usually happy to reheat stuff in the oven) while the family home is already stocked to the gunnells with piles of crap.

In addition if I ever get to move out again the only thing I'll be able to "afford" will be a shoebox or smaller, so space will continue to be at a premium.

I couldn't bring myself to bin it, but suspect that this would be its ultimate fate were I to give it away as nobody in the world is as soft and sentimental as I am, it seems...

Guidance or suggestions as to what I could (legitimately) use it for invited please!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I also have an excellent small-form-factor, front-venting Creda Compact 3 tumble drier (must be from the '70s or '80s) however am really attached to that and tbh in a pokey little flat it could be quite handy..

It also scores retro points for bearing the Tubular Industries logo, who owned both Creda and Raleigh at some point before British manufacturing took a dive..

5-5-2008-11-31-25--sparkymarky1973.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The dryer could go to a museum. The microwave - bin it. They are silly cheap if you need one. I use ours for heating milk in a cup for hot choc, although my son re-heats most meals as he never comes and gets his food.

Chris S

Legendary Member
One of these items is a vintage microwave I've had since Uni, that was aged then when gifted to me by a colleague. On the one hand I feel somewhat attached to it as it's built like a tank (must be at least 25yrs old)
I'm lucky if a microwave lasts 5 years before it rusts through, the door catch breaks or an electronic component just stops working.

vickster

Legendary Member
My microwave is at least 15 years old, still going strong. Used daily for porridge/soup/ready meals/ reheat
Lives in cupboard above oven so takes up no surface space in a small kitchen

mikeIow

Guru
Ours is over 17 years old.
Did blow something about 8 years ago, but since we had, by then, built a new kitchen which incorporated it into an island unit, we found a microwave repair fella locally to fix. He had a regular house....stuffed full of microwaves!
Gave it a clean bill of health, and has (touch wood) worked great ever since.
I’d say we use it as much as the normal oven.

Top Bottom