Do I need a microwave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We have a huge and very ancient microwave, of unknown provenance which no longer functions.

It sits atop of the (functioning) fridge in the barn.

It protects from the mice, the 8 sourdough loaves, hand crafted and delivered here, by the 'marvellous' bread baking lady from the village.

Maybe you could get your beast fostered out, as a 'quirky' bread safe, while you get yourself straight again :becool:

You won't be back with the family forever - something else will come up :okay:

* Could this be the most 'Overheard in Waitrose' sentence, typed on the 'most irrelevant minutiae of a strangers life, topic' - on t'internet today -??

Or does it just reflect the inordinate lengths, to which some of us will go to to avoid tedious admin ..

p.s. I don't have a telly - maybe thats a sin of omission in the present circs??

p.p.s i do however have , and indeed often ride a bicycle ... :bicycle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I also have an excellent small-form-factor, front-venting Creda Compact 3 tumble drier (must be from the '70s or '80s) however am really attached to that and tbh in a pokey little flat it could be quite handy..

It also scores retro points for bearing the Tubular Industries logo, who owned both Creda and Raleigh at some point before British manufacturing took a dive..

View attachment 557189
I have a friend who is restoring a SPAN house back close to it's 70s splendour and would be very interested if you no longer want it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The day the axe falls on my faux-independent living draws ever closer, and with it the need to rationalise seven year's worth of stuff accumulated living away from the family home.

One of these items is a vintage microwave I've had since Uni, that was aged then when gifted to me by a colleague. On the one hand I feel somewhat attached to it as it's built like a tank (must be at least 25yrs old) and it's served me well. On the other I never really use it (no hot drinks or microwave meals, don't do baked spuds and am usually happy to reheat stuff in the oven) while the family home is already stocked to the gunnells with piles of crap.

In addition if I ever get to move out again the only thing I'll be able to "afford" will be a shoebox or smaller, so space will continue to be at a premium.

I couldn't bring myself to bin it, but suspect that this would be its ultimate fate were I to give it away as nobody in the world is as soft and sentimental as I am, it seems...

Guidance or suggestions as to what I could (legitimately) use it for invited please!
Hi, do you have details of the Microwave?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
We have a huge and very ancient microwave, of unknown provenance which no longer functions.

It sits atop of the (functioning) fridge in the barn.

It protects from the mice, the 8 sourdough loaves, hand crafted and delivered here, by the 'marvellous' bread baking lady from the village.

Maybe you could get your beast fostered out, as a 'quirky' bread safe, while you get yourself straight again :becool:

You won't be back with the family forever - something else will come up :okay:

* Could this be the most 'Overheard in Waitrose' sentence, typed on the 'most irrelevant minutiae of a strangers life, topic' - on t'internet today -??

Or does it just reflect the inordinate lengths, to which some of us will go to to avoid tedious admin ..

p.s. I don't have a telly - maybe thats a sin of omission in the present circs??

p.p.s i do however have , and indeed often ride a bicycle ... :bicycle:
Thanks for your support!

While I'm dreading being back here full time (popped back over the weekend to drop off some supplies and do a little work, stuck here now the car's died :sad: ) on dark and miserable afternoons such as this there are worse places to be than chewing the fat with the old dear in front of an open fire I guess; although of course that's only one side of the coin.

Funny you should suggest its use as a hipster breadbin - when not in use this one gets repurposed as a store for perishables; including bread when "we" ( :sad: ) had such things in the house!

I have a friend who is restoring a SPAN house back close to it's 70s splendour and would be very interested if you no longer want it.
Thanks - I'll consider it on the proviso that it would be going to a good home, although if I did go this way I'd probably want a few quid for it as they still seem to generate a bit of demand.

What's the score with your mate's project - is it his home? I wasn't aware of the existance of this type of property, but a quick google suggests they look pretty characterful and interesting. I often find peoples' desire to "update" to the current fashions questionable at best - I have a mate with a '30s semi who's currently attempting to revert it to its former glory after previous owners went apesh*t with modern decor and UPVC :sad:

Hi, do you have details of the Microwave?
All I can remember is that it's a Swan, 750W IIRC and beige. It's presentable but does have some corrosion inside on the bottom. When I'm back in Oxford I'll get a pic - if I can be reasonably certain that it'll continue to live long and prosper in its new home you're welcome to it :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My microwave is at least 15 years old, still going strong. Used daily for porridge/soup/ready meals/ reheat

I use mine in a similar way.

However, all those simple foods taste nicer if done on the hob or in the oven.

I also have an excellent small-form-factor, front-venting Creda Compact 3 tumble drier (must be from the '70s or '80s) however am really attached to that and tbh in a pokey little flat it could be quite handy..

It also scores retro points for bearing the Tubular Industries logo, who owned both Creda and Raleigh at some point before British manufacturing took a dive..

View attachment 557189

I had a similar 'compact' tumble dryer.

Very handy for a single person living in a small flat.

Mine ended up being stored in my mother's garage for a few months when I was in between addresses in London.

When I went to retrieve it, I was annoyed to discover she'd given it away to someone she thought deserving of it.

I was doubly annoyed when I couldn't find a similar sized one to buy, not even for ready money, as Oscar Wilde said.

My advice is to keep hold of yours because you may not be able to get another one.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Dismantle your microwave and salvage the magnetron from inside. With a bit of research, you can find information about how to incorporate it into an Electro-Magnetic Pulse weapon that can easily destroy the mobile phone of the annoying, braying idiot in the next door train seat.:okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
Dismantle your microwave and salvage the magnetron from inside. With a bit of research, you can find information about how to incorporate it into an Electro-Magnetic Pulse weapon that can easily destroy the mobile phone of the annoying, braying idiot in the next door train seat.:okay:

I don't use trains.

raleighnut said:
Let's face it some members don't even need to ride bikes :cycle:
I'm sure there are quite a few who never do.:unsure:
But they do daily give them a good talking to, a good thrashing.

vickster

Legendary Member
I use mine in a similar way.

However, all those simple foods taste nicer if done on the hob or in the oven.
That‘s as maybe but I’m not going to have the oven on for 20-30 minutes at 190 to reheat one ready meal or a plate of leftovers, or make a saucepan and wooden spoon dirty to make a bowl of porridge (and you have to stand over and stir)

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Here's the beige beast if anyone wants to give it a good home ;)

IMG_1480.JPG

Top Bottom