Do I need a new bike...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

SonofSid said:
Many thanks percy. Browsing the site seems most have the same opinion about the spDs, as does my LBS. I'm a bit worried about falling over still attached, but that seems to be a common worry to begin with. LBS also have power straps- wide single strap that goes diagonally across pedal. Wondered about them as an alternative that would also fit the fact the bike is for commute and short trips. any opinions?

SPDs are a lot easier to get in and out of than most people expect - sure, it takes a few goes to get it right but clipping into them tends to be a harder skill to master than flicking your foot out. Straps/clips etc. are a much more dangerous prospect in terms of falling over still attached - a strap will literally have your foot strapped to the pedal and you will need to be very precise with your movement to release your feet. SPDs, however, unclip in a variety of different directions (twising your foot slightly is the recommended way but pulling up/to the side/forwards/backwards etc. all works). The tightness of the cleat is adjustable too so to begin with you can set it to the minimum level, meaning your shoe will unclip with the smallest of movement - this may even be too loose to cycle effectively in, especially if you're cranking hard, but at least it'll give you some peace of mind when gettting used to them. You will literally be able to just lift your foot off the pedal and it will come off.

You can get pedals that are two sided - one side a normal, flat pedal, the other with the clip, so they can be used for both 'normal' riding (in normal shoes) and for when you want to be clipped in. I have these and would thoroughly recommend - spend all day on the bike in SPD shoes then a ride to the bar/shop in the evening in comfortable sandles/trainers.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shimano-Shimano-PD-M324-SPD-Pedals-708.htm

I bought my girlfriend a pair for her birthday (I know - a true romantic I am :wacko:) and we're actually going out this afternoon so she can try them for the first time - I have set hers to the loosest setting because she's quite worried about the whole falling over thing too, but I'm sure she'll be fine - as I say, it's less of an issue than people think it will be.

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

Percy - thanks again. Your girlfriend is a lucky woman!

Thanks snorri - more money saved! My wife might actually be talking to me again once I tell her 'forum says no' to a new bike and most gadgets for my existing bike. Will make the shoes and pedals a lot easier to get away with.

Top Bottom