Do i need a new crank???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackSwan83

Hi All,

Just so you know i've purchased new pedals and a new bottom bracket but recently a crunching noise has been coming from the pedal/crank area when putting pressure on the pedals and for some strange reason after ive cycled on wet tracks/trails it get really noisy to the point people are looking.
I've taken the pedals off and cleaned the crank hole and put them back on, they seemed to be fine for a few weeks after this then it slowly comes back. I've noticed however that threads of aluminium have been coming out of the spindle area of the crank and wondering if i need a new crank to finally resolve this problem.
Thanks for your time and advice :smile:

Samuel

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What sort of bottom bracket? If it is a square taper type like THIS SHIMANO UN55 then you might need to check the crank arm bolts are tight, especially the L/H side.

OP
OP
BlackSwan83

BlackSwan83

Yep thats the exact BB i have. Sorry what is the L/H side? When the crunching noise is happening it sounds/feels like its coming from the pedal area

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the threads have stripped, you need to get new cranks. Is it just one crank that's damaged.

If so do you know the make and model number - usually printed on the inside of the crank ?

I ask why, but SJS Cycles have a large range of either left hand (L/H) or right hand (R/H) cranks available on their own - saves forking out for a new crank set.

That said, if you look about, you can get new square taper crank sets complete for quite a steal if you look about on the web. I managed to get a new Deore LX MTB crankset for £30 complete.

Top Bottom