Do I need a training program?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

As I mentioned in my first ever post, I want to push my cycling a bit more. I'm not a competative person but am just looking to be my personal best, if that makes sense?
I have ridden bikes most of my life as local transportaion. I used to do a route of around 17miles in the week but now have just a 12 mile daily commute. There are the occasional days I'll travel further upto around 30 miles, around once a fortnight. I have no computer or such like so those miles are estimates from an online routefinder. Perphaps because I'm a bit older I'm expecting a bit more of myself or perphaps I just don't like public transportation but I want to be cycle further. The first journey I want to make is Worcester to Chinnor,Oxford... I think its about 75 miles. Should I just go for it? or should I train a bit?

MRE

Regular
As long as you don't push your self too hard and make sure reserve energy you should be able to do 75 miles without training. However, I'd imagine you would find it very hard as its a big jump in distance from what you are doing now.

I would say it would be better to train a bit before hand so you enjoy it a bit more. Gradually increase your mileage, if you can do 50 miles and do it quite comfortably then 75 miles won't be a problem.

tadpole

As I mentioned in my first ever post, I want to push my cycling a bit more. I'm not a competative person but am just looking to be my personal best, if that makes sense?
I have ridden bikes most of my life as local transportaion. I used to do a route of around 17miles in the week but now have just a 12 mile daily commute. There are the occasional days I'll travel further upto around 30 miles, around once a fortnight. I have no computer or such like so those miles are estimates from an online routefinder. Perphaps because I'm a bit older I'm expecting a bit more of myself or perphaps I just don't like public transportation but I want to be cycle further. The first journey I want to make is Worcester to Chinnor,Oxford... I think its about 75 miles. Should I just go for it? or should I train a bit?
Get the strava app on your smart phone and you'll find that maybe you are in fact "a competative person" It will also give you some idea of what you do and how far you travel. Knowing that, you'll improve, and as you improve you'll be able to answer your own question, are you fit enough to cycle 75 miles. I'd say if you take it slowly and stop often for small breaks, then 75 miles is doable. you might not find it as enjoyable or even very pleasent but with even as little as two months of "commuting at speed" type training, it would not seem so daunting... YMMV

PpPete

Legendary Member
Just go for it.
Give yourself plenty of time, take it easy, enjoy the scenery, stop for food and drink frequently. You'll be just fine.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

Get the strava app on your smart phone and you'll find that maybe you are in fact "a competative person" It will also give you some idea of what you do and how far you travel. Knowing that, you'll improve, and as you improve you'll be able to answer your own question, are you fit enough to cycle 75 miles. I'd say if you take it slowly and stop often for small breaks, then 75 miles is doable. you might not find it as enjoyable or even very pleasent but with even as little as two months of "commuting at speed" type training, it would not seem so daunting... YMMV

Encouraged by the post responses, thanks all. Yeah I have a smart phone but hadn't realised that strava was an app ( I thought it was a garmin style gizmo). Uploaded it to my phone earlier today, looks a blast and loads of info I wanted to know about local slopes and cycling hotspots. At home the gps quickly found my location. Was very excited. I sellotaped my Samsung to my bike started the app and set off. Wouldn't find my gps location so I guess it needs mobile internet connection (which I block as its a pay as you go jobby). Was surprised how much a timer ticking in front of me inspired me to up my ussual pace :smile: .My route includes a small slope called Crookbarrow Way (3.3% 0.6miles 106ft elevation gain) . Guessing by clocks my route ussually takes me 30-35mins, on a casual effort. Today made it in 24 and a half. Thought pushing it a bit I would feel knackered at work but was actually more energised than ever! Today, I unleashed the furry... I am a tiger :rofl:

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

I am not much into phones, but you may need to turn the gps on, if you say what phone it is I am sure others will help.
Its a samsung GT I5800, The GPS was on, (sattalite icon flashin away). Worked in range of the home wifi, so will be great if I want to post a personal best of razing round the garden :smile: Not a phone fan at all, I spend around £5 every two months feeding it and am well practiced in accidently missing calls. It is however a great alarm clock. I could disarm the mobile data block app but it would cost a quid just to run it so I could get the strava to work and then I'd forget to re-arm the mobile data block and it would leave me 0 credit by dusk. I'll be looking to get something specific for tracking my cycling performance to which I think you've recomended a few gizmo's in another thread. cheers for the thought though

My Nokia N95 worked without credit, try endomondo, that worked for me, though some of the tracks were off a little (well a lot sometimes), but I think that might have been the gps chip in the phone, it is quite old now, I got aBryton 35 last week, and its gps track is bang on, though the elevation thing is a bit wayward, as is the breadcrumb course route thing. I was following a course today that took me in a loop, but then back on myself till I got home for the last 3-4 miles it was telling me I had 32 miles to ride, having already done that distance, well most of it.
Strava its the bit at the bottom that passes through Knottingley, I went both ways east to start west on the way home.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

heehe.. what do you know your right it works - I had activated the 'use wireless networks for location' as well as 'use gps satellites', hense it wouldn't find my location without a wifi connection., only went 0.3 miles though to test it, as its a tad late and I'm off to work at 6.30am

Top Bottom