Do I need different tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barongreenback

Über Member
I have a Specialized Sirrus Sport with 700/28 sized tyres - they're almost slick with a slight tread on them. For my commuting exploits, should I be looking for something with a bit more tread for wet weather and also a bit more puncture resistance? I was looking at Marathon Plus and I'm happy to spend the money if necessary, but wanted to make sure this is a worthwhile investment. Raw speed is not a factor for me (and I weigh 18 stone so a few grammes isn't going to make a load of difference!)

Thanks.

I have a Specialized Sirrus Sport with 700/28 sized tyres - they're almost slick with a slight tread on them. For my commuting exploits, should I be looking for something with a bit more tread for wet weather and also a bit more puncture resistance? I was looking at Marathon Plus and I'm happy to spend the money if necessary, but wanted to make sure this is a worthwhile investment. Raw speed is not a factor for me (and I weigh 18 stone so a few grammes isn't going to make a load of difference!)

Thanks.
More tread on road actualy means less grip in the wet, basically less rubber is in contact with the road; what actually makes a trye more grippy is its compound. By all means check out tyres for better p'ture resistance Specialized Armadillos and Continental Gator Skins also have good reviews but roll easier.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
More tread on road actualy means less grip in the wet, basically less rubber is in contact with the road; what actually makes a trye more grippy is its compound. By all means check out tyres for better p'ture resistance Specialized Armadillos and Continental Gator Skins also have good reviews but roll easier.

Agree with this. For road-riding, tread is not necessary, but in most cases (-articularly commuting), it ain't gonna hurt either.
To add to the list, Schwalbe Marathon plus are a virtually bombproof commuting tyre.

Top Bottom