Do I need Marathon Winters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
People got all excited about winter tyres in this country a few years back. And then people were getting themselves all worked up trying to find them for last winter only for it to barely even snow.

But if you don't have alternative routes that use more major roads that will get gritted or cleared first then it may be worth having a bike equipped with them if you have a spare bike. You may end up only needing them for a few days through the winter so it's down to you to decide if that's worth the expense. I've commuted through Sheffield and in the Peaks for almost 5 years now and there's only been 2 or 3 days when I couldn't use my road bike with skinny tyres (though there have been plenty of days where I had to avoid certain roads). On those days I used a mountain bike with fat tyres to cope with the frozen rutted snow on all but the main roads, but since you live in Scotland then they actually know how to deal with heavy snow, unlike in most of England where they still seem to think that all you need to do is sprinkle some grit on the roads.
I think that's what I need to work out – for the 2 or 3 days when I might actually really need them, is it worth investing in them. They're not the cheapest tyres (but then again, I've never skimped on rubber for the car), but I do seem to be able to get a pair from Germany for almost the same cost as a single tyre from here in the UK, so that's more palatable.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
...I had been anticipating finding them only rideable as a necessity. As it turned out that wasn't the case, though I accept that others will find different, so I just bung them on as a matter of course now. I reckon I drop a max of 2mph off my average using them but can still maintain around 13mph. As it's utlity use only and also in conjunction with a hub gear that works fine for me. The M Winters have carbide studs and I can't see any appreciable wear over two Winters. As I use a different bike for conditions then I anticipate getting 5-6 years from a set which I'm happy with.

If you happen to be between about 6' and 6'4" there's a cracking deal on a Surly Crosscheck in the classifieds :whistle:
Too small, sorry ^_^

Good to hear of your experiences running the MW full time though – most encouraging should I decide to buy a pair. I also agree that I should get several years use out of them, so that takes the sting out of the investment to some degree.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I guess it depends on your commute route; mine's almost exclusively on main A-roads for the 10 miles, which means they're kept clear and gritted.

The result is that there are a lot less problems with ice/snow when commuting ... although there are other issues!
That's why I mentioned the route in my original post, as I'm not sure if any other CC'ers have experience of my route – here it is on Strava (from a really good day!).

There were times earlier this year where even the main A908 hadn't been gritted and it was dodgy on 4 wheels, but I have no idea what state the section past the Powfoulis gets into (or between Clackmannan and the Bridge). I guess I have the option to go A905 through Skinflats, but that's a bad road, and there's always the long way via Stirling and Airth which avoids Clackmannan altogether.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My commute is mainly A road, but getting to the main road requires walking if it's slightly icy. I've done this too, but, having the back end start snaking on the main A34 dual carriageway whilst climbing a small rise on a cold morning, made me think about these tyres, and the Jan 10 forecast was ice for 2-3 weeks - placed the order for the tyres, next day we had the foot of snow ! Collecting the tyres was more fun, had to drive to the parcel depot where the staff went searching in the back of vans to find them.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
My commute is mainly A road, but getting to the main road requires walking if it's slightly icy. I've done this too, but, having the back end start snaking on the main A34 dual carriageway whilst climbing a small rise on a cold morning, made me think about these tyres, and the Jan 10 forecast was ice for 2-3 weeks - placed the order for the tyres, next day we had the foot of snow ! Collecting the tyres was more fun, had to drive to the parcel depot where the staff went searching in the back of vans to find them.
Delivery vans and snow don't mix, that's for sure!! Thankfully my one and only 'snaking' experience was on an unclassified "cycle friendly" back road section.... don't fancy trying it again with cars in the mix :eek:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thankfully my one and only 'snaking' experience was on an unclassified "cycle friendly" back road section.... don't fancy trying it again with cars in the mix :eek:

I've crashed badly in ice before - three times in one journey - one at about 30 mph down a hill, the bike just went. The two others were about 15 mph further on. Thats when ICE riding became a no for me. These new fangled spiked tyres are a revelation.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well you're thinking it through properly which is always going to be the best approach. The personal tradeoff between need/want/practicality really does come down to how you feel. Worst case you buy a set, try them and don't like, you'll not lose much on the deal selling them on...especially in the middle of a cold snap.

My fear has always been front tyre vanishing when I hit ice unexpectedly, so far I have avoided this. But my biggest bonus, and was worth the price of the tyres for this alone, was cycling up a hill passing cars that couldn't make it due to the ice. It's like every good feeling you've ever had about cycling all wrapped up in one mahoosively smug bundle.

Robwiz

Regular
From the research I've done, it appears that in central Europe they fit winter tyres around now and leave them on their bikes until around the beginning of March. Seems like a decent plan to me. If I had a nice Madone I think I would leave it in hibernation until the roads are salt free again.

My local council thoughtfully posts on its website whether they are gritting, so it's easy to know if the roads are likely to be corrosive.

e-rider

crappy member
I have MWinters 700x35.
These are not fit and forget tyres. For a start they are incredibly difficult to fit, very stiff and heavy! Secondly, although they are rideable on normal roads theyare far from ideal if there is no snow or ice about.
The studs get ripped out on normal roads too. Schwalbe sent me a handful of spares after I contacted them. I struggled to put the replacements in until I discovered a nice little trick that worked perfectly everytime. Great tyres in the snow and ice - rubbish tyres for normal roads! I put them on when it snows, and take them off again afterwards - it's a pain but.....
As a last note, they work amazing well in the conditions they were designed for. I was quite surprised just how well they did work.

Mallory

My fear has always been front tyre vanishing

I did that a few weeks back on a slippery patch of road. mud/diesel i think :eek:

That HURT a lot :cursing:

If my transfer and commuting happens that i'm in the same situation. Forecasts can be so hit and miss the question we also need to ask is whta if it snows while we area t work?? Can we safely ride back :excl:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Conti's Top Contact Winter 2 tire may be a good compromise.
This is what I've fitted (2 weeks ago) and even though I lose a little bit of speed (not that I'm fussed about speed) due to rolling resistance I feel safe as in the wet and on greasy surfaces. They're good in snow too apparently!

Top Bottom