Do I need new bearings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
That headset has been overtightened, I’ve pulled bearings out 40 year old bikes and they’ve never looked like that.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That headset has been overtightened, I’ve pulled bearings out 40 year old bikes and they’ve never looked like that.
Interesting. Maybe that's what I did.

C R

Guru
But would the kind of damage in those bearings not need full rotation? In a headset the bearings only go through a fraction of a rotation in normal operation.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you'd 'overtightened' the headset the bar movement would have stiffened up. There's no way you'd have ridden it like that.
It was almost completely seized by the end...riding home felt distinctly weird...sort of like the odd feeling you get when you move a gyroscope round in your hands. I don't recommend it. :rolleyes:

Why? For what benefit?
It's my understanding from folks more techy than me that it's better, more bearings rather than the metal fixed frame. Has worked for me on some old threaded headsets which were slightly worn through mis-use. Movement and grease is good. As i said it's not really difficult to do for the user, the clips are there for the benefit of the manufacturer.
Mind you, i prefer loose bearings in general.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
[.......... it never occurred to me that you could get 'poor quality' bearings. I (perhaps naively) assumed that the human race had basically figured out how to make bearings, and they were all much of a muchness. Maybe that was wrong.
....... Which leads me to suspect that I have screwed up by not replacing like with like. They looked the right size - ie, same size as the old ones - but maybe it was a metric/imperial thing, or something like that]

I never fit bearings without dropping a mike on them first.
You can't tell just by looking at them.
Even a couple of tenths of a thou can make a lot of difference as to how the load is distributed and lead to damage to bearings and race.
Even if the diameter is correct, faults in heat treatment can lead to premature failure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Job's a good'un!

^_^

Thanks all!

Top Bottom