Do I need to change my tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steephill

I've attached photos to show how worn my tyres are. The one with the thin flat strip is the front. There are no problems with them currently but I've got a TT coming up so I'm just wondering whether I should fit some new ones or just carry on with these. They must have done ~2000 miles. In other words, will I be putting myself at a disadvantage in the TT if I run these? Another thought, in future, would it be sensible to switch them round say, every 1000 miles to get more total mileage out of them due to more even wear?

Attachments

• Front tyre.JPG
    Front tyre.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 437
  • Rear tyre.JPG
    Rear tyre.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 97

rusky

CC Addict
If there are a load of deep cuts I would change them

al78

Guru
I've attached photos to show how worn my tyres are. The one with the thin flat strip is the front. There are no problems with them currently but I've got a TT coming up so I'm just wondering whether I should fit some new ones or just carry on with these. They must have done ~2000 miles. In other words, will I be putting myself at a disadvantage in the TT if I run these? Another thought, in future, would it be sensible to switch them round say, every 1000 miles to get more total mileage out of them due to more even wear?

They look fine to me. I'd just carry on with them. If you start getting more punctures, or you get any large gashes in the tyre then replace them.

Don't swap the tyres round. You want the best quality tyre on the front, as the front tyre is the most critical for safety. See here.

They look fine to me. I'd just carry on with them. If you start getting more punctures, or you get any large gashes in the tyre then replace them.

Don't swap the tyres round. You want the best quality tyre on the front, as the front tyre is the most critical for safety. See here.

+1 They look fine to me, I doubt any drop in performance would be noticeable given the condition. And wrt switching I've always went with the policy of switching to the back but never forwards, some say its over cautious but I'm happier that way :thumbsup:

GrasB

Veteran
The unfortunate thing for the case that SB gives is that blow outs on tyres tend to have very little do do with tyre wear & produced by catastrophic damage to the tyre caused by large/sharp object or overheating. High speed deflations are more controllable & more likely to be notice early on the front tyre as you'll feel the bike 'bars start to pull & wander. A more relevant reason not to swap a worn rear over is that the flattening of the tyre leads to a reduction in contact patch during shallow high-load cornering which may well lead to a sudden & unexpected loss of front grip, which by it's nature tends to happen at (very) high speed!

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be changing a tyre until it starts getting punctures regularly (my exception to this is when you've blatantly worn through all the tread so you see the casing or puncture guard in the case of Marathon/Durano Plus tyres or similar).

Top Bottom