Do I need to regain weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I'd say you're a 'transition fit' ;):laugh: - on the edge of slightly underweight and just about healthy weight. However, chances are that as a cyclist you've got distorted body proportions - i.e. waist up you appear skinnier with more bulk in the legs. Not quite Chris Froome arms and Chris Hoy legs but you get the picture. Maybe that's why some may describe you as 'scrawny'?

At your age, especially if you're only getting your exercise from cycling, I would slightly worry about osteoporosis. It certainly wouldn't harm to do some weight bearing exercises and have a protein rich meal or shake every now and again.

boydj

Legendary Member
When I was riding more distance than I do now I couldn't eat when I got back

Probably because you were a bit dehydrated - I used to have the same problem.

To the OP, don't worry about it. You're fit and healthy for your age. Have a bit of cake if you have a coffee stop, but I doubt if your metabolism would store it as fat - more likely to just burn it up.

If you really want to put on weight, build up your upper body muscles with a bit of weight training or press-ups. Or fnd some other activity that requires upper body strength.

fraz101

Hip waist ratio is far more reliable indicator of correct weight for men or women

What is a good hip to waist ratio?

View attachment 654739
The WHO advise that a healthy WHR is: 0.85 or less for women. 0.9 or less for men.

just did this and NHS BMI

I’m 42, male, 175cm, 70kg, cycle 100-150 miles per week.
BMI = 22.8
Hip/waist ratio is 0.93

I have strong legs but upper body isn’t muscular at all.

I‘d like to improve that slightly

Well done cycling that much etc at 80. Keep it up

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hip waist ratio is far more reliable indicator of correct weight for men or women

What is a good hip to waist ratio?

View attachment 654739
The WHO advise that a healthy WHR is: 0.85 or less for women. 0.9 or less for men.

I'm liking this measure, I have a powerful/massive* arse
*delete as applicable

where's the tape measure?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
am told I now look "scrawny"

I wouldn't worry about it, and I certainly wouldn't look to gain weight. You have a healthy diet and do regular exercise - that's the main thing. If you feel good physically and mentally, and are happy with how you are, don't change a thing. I wish I had your energy and self-control, but I can't pass up a plate of food or a cider or a biscuit so I struggle to maintain a healthy weight

simongt

Guru
I currently weigh 61kg and am172 cm height.
I'm 69, 1.75cm tall and currently at around 60kg. I've lost weight over the last few months; I'm usually around the 63 - 65kg. mark and my wife is concerned. I've recently taken a job which is physically very active for most of the shift, more so than my previous job, but I only have a 10 mile commute instead of the previous 25 miler, so it should even out. I am eating rather less than I used to as I don't seem to be able to 'put away' the same volume of grub that I used to without feeling bloated. I'm seeing my GP next week to talk it over just in case there's an underlying issue that I'm not aware of. :whistle:

alex_cycles

Veteran
I'm 69, 1.75cm tall and currently at around 60kg. I've lost weight over the last few months; I'm usually around the 63 - 65kg. mark and my wife is concerned. I've recently taken a job which is physically very active for most of the shift, more so than my previous job, but I only have a 10 mile commute instead of the previous 25 miler, so it should even out. I am eating rather less than I used to as I don't seem to be able to 'put away' the same volume of grub that I used to without feeling bloated. I'm seeing my GP next week to talk it over just in case there's an underlying issue that I'm not aware of. :whistle:

It's quite normal to lose a bit in summer and regain it in winter. I'd just keep an eye on it. If it bothers you, there's always beer/cake/chocolate as 'medicinal food supplements' :laugh:. It's also normal to need a bit less food as you age. But good you're getting checked out. :okay:

p.s. If you're 1.75cm tall, I'd say you're a bit OVERweight :laugh:

Last edited:
I’m 31, 5ft 7 and weigh 79kg, I’m in the overweight category for my BMI because I cycle at lot less due to working from home now.

When I was regularly commuting I was 70kg so would say your in the right ball park for your height and age. Maybe do some gym strength work to add bone density and improve your sprinting skills.

Top Bottom